Diabetic

on fitness pal is there anywhere where you can put your a diabetic and have better control.....thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    no, you can customise your macro goals and record relevant stuff in the diary, but it's not a diabetic app.
  • DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    I am also diabetic. My doctor started me on Insulin a week ago. I have had diabetes for almost 30 years. A good place to find some meal plans for diabetics is online at the American Diabetic Association. Also there are some diabetic meal plans @ www.LillyDiabetes.com. You can add me if you want.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Many if not most Type II diabetics find that their condition completely resolves if they take off a good bit of weight. Doctors put us on meds because they despair of our ever taking their advice to lose the weight.

Type I is different, of course, but it's a heck of a lot easier to control glucose swings without the excess weight. So while you may have to watch your carbs like a hawk, never lose sight of the overall goal to keep a lid on total calories.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    There's no setting to exclusively say that you're a diabetic or a way to log BG entries. If you're consistent in the timing of your BG tests (I'm assuming you're a T2 and probably only testing 3-4 times a day max), you could create your own custom food entry along the lines of "Before breakfast BG" and then have the serving size set to "1mg/dL" (or 1mmol/L) and then adjust the serving size based off your BG for the test (so for instance, if my before breakfast BG was 102, I would put in 102 servings).

MFP has been my best friend for carb counting. All I need to do is look up the entry (and verify that it is accurate), weigh out my portion, do the same for other parts of the meal, and then assess the carbs/fiber and macro breakdown to determine how much insulin to inject and how I should time it (15 minute prebolus? square wave bolus? do I need to take extra insulin for a high-protein low-carb meal? etc). MFP combined with being physically active and really fine tuning my insulin pump dosages is one of the reasons why I've been able to maintain a below 6% A1C since I was diagnosed two and a half years ago (I'm a type 1).
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Many if not most Type II diabetics find that their condition completely resolves if they take off a good bit of weight. Doctors put us on meds because they despair of our ever taking their advice to lose the weight.

Type I is different, of course, but it's a heck of a lot easier to control glucose swings without the excess weight. So while you may have to watch your carbs like a hawk, never lose sight of the overall goal to keep a lid on total calories.

This only works if the diet is strongly modified to reduce carbs AND the weight loss is in the first few years of having a diagnosis ...because you are more likely insulin resistent than a true diabetic at that point.

And even then, it the diet goes back to including more carbs and if any weight is gained back, it comes back also.

Diabetes II (your body still makes insulin but does not use it properly or at all) is not a curable disease ... it is chronic and progressive but can be controlled in the early stages with diet and exercise.

Even then, if you have it for, say about 10 years, you probably will have progressed enough to have some of the serious side affects ... like no longer producing any insulin and needing insulin shots, or having nerve end damage in the feet/legs, hands, eyes, and heart disease.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I use an app called MySugr to track all my bg levels and I used it to watch my carbs at first before I had better control so I could see how particular amounts of carbs affected my bg level. You can also track insulin and other medication, activities in there. The best part is if you log into the corresponding website you can print out a PDF of your logs to take to your doctor. I love that! Good luck!