When Did You Get Rid of Your Old (Larger Sized) Clothing

Options
Hello I am hovering at just under 100 pounds weight loss. I have just four pairs of pants I can wear now. Clothing is expensive LOL. But my wardrobe includes clothes in a range of sizes from 14 (My current size) to 24 (One size under my largest size and yes they are still here).

Last time I lost 80 pounds I gave away or threw away all the really big sizes. Then I had a reversal of circumstances and gained most of the weight back and had to buy some more large sizes.

But I am down now to lower than I have been since I first gained all that weight. I am actually 20 pounds lighter than I was when I moved to this city during the end of the last century.

So when do I get rid of the old clothes? They are in the way and they create clutter. Also make it hard for me to find what actually does fit. I mean, all black trousers look alike on the hangers, so I have to turn the waste lines over and read the size. So its annoying and time consuming. But I 'm afraid to get rid of them in case things change again.

Please help, I am asking for advice and also to know what worked for you.

Thanks!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I held onto my larger clothes because I was terrified of regaining the weight . I was so used to yoyo dieting that I didn't know what it would be like to actually maintain a healthy weight.
    Finally one day I realized it had been a couple years and I knew it was truly a lifestyle change. I knew I had learned the tools need for longterm success ( portion control and moderation) and knew that weight loss came down to calories. I knew there was never a need to yoyo diet, fad diets, gimmicks again because I had all the tools needed to do this right.
    I got rid of the clothes and donated all of them to a women's center and never looked back. It took a couple years but I did it. I knew there was no going back for me. I have the knowledge needed for success .
    I slowly Bought new things and rebuilt my wardrobe.

Sometimes it takes our minds a little while to catch up to our new bodies.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight before. Twice, actually. I always kept the clothes, and I think that really made it easier for me to not care if I was gaining. This time around when the clothes are too big, I fill a bag and take them to Goodwill ASAP. I'm down 33 now and I need to seriously go through my closet, because the last few pounds really made the change. I have a lot of clothes in smaller sizes I never threw out, and those will serve me well for "closet shopping", but this time, as soon as they are too big, they're out!!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This time....as soon as it didn't fit. Charity/thrift are brilliant places for clothes your going to grow out of and you're helping the charity by both donating and buying
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Same as Suzyjane. As soon as they were too large to fit me, they went. For replacing them with smaller sizes, I have been hitting the charity shops to buy t-shirts and slacks. Two of them have fill a bag for $5 when they get too many clothes. Our local Salvation Army have a monthly senior's day and dollar day. Some of the clothes look brand new or are very lightly worn.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Keeping the larger sizes is a safety net - it doesn't matter too much if we regain a few pounds, because there'll still be something to fit and we won't have to buy new clothes.

While it's true that people's circumstances do change, getting rid of the too-big clothes will take away that safety net and make you realise that if you start putting on weight again you have two choices - spend money on bigger clothes, or put in the effort to lose the extra pounds!

Thrift stores are great - I still have a bunch of smaller clothes in various sizes from the last time I lost weight, but there will undoubtedly be a few things I'll need before I reach my goal. I don't want (and can't afford) to spend money on things I'll only wear for a short while, so thrift stores will be my friend for however long that takes! (Also consignment stores, and sales at Wal-Mart!)

I've been getting rid of most things as soon as they're too big, or in some cases when they still fit but are unflattering, because I suddenly have more clothes that DO fit better and look better! My weight often fluctuates by 1-2lbs per day, so I do keep some things that are a little looser or more forgiving, but most of it goes once it becomes baggy.

One thing you could do, if you're still unsure about getting rid of the larger clothes, would be to sort out your closet and pack away everything that's too big (I've just kept one pair of my biggest size jeans, for comparison). Put the boxes away somewhere out of sight. If you don't miss the clothes, and don't need them, over the next couple of months, donate or sell them.

It feels good to remove those things from your life because you don't need them any more! :)
  • miz_ppyn
    miz_ppyn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Im in a weightloss group we are all shapes and sizes. What we do is give each other our clothes that are to big. Like i just gave another member my size 26 clothes bcos she needed clothing that wernt size 32. And another lady gave me her size 20 clothes bcos she was given size 16. And so on.. i guess its kinda a pay it forward system cos it is expensive for clothes and no one wants to be buying clothes only to have to buy more a month later due to weightloss.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    miz_ppyn wrote: »
    Im in a weightloss group we are all shapes and sizes. What we do is give each other our clothes that are to big.

That's an excellent idea in a group! And yes, it sucks to have to pay out for things you'll hardly use. I'm lucky I don't need much right now, but if I did need something smart for an interview I might have to hit up the consignment store for a cheap, good quality outfit. I have a couple of skirts that fit now, but they might not last much longer! ;)