Quality of calories

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Vickie96 wrote: »
    I know that to lose weight it's basically calories in and calories out, however do you find generally find that using your calories on more nutritious foods opposed to using some of them on sugary snacks etc, that you lose weight more consistently?

No.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just make sure I'm not limiting anything so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Keeps me sane. Some days are super nutritious, some days are not so much.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I wonder about sugar. If I have a banana it will tell me I've gone over my sugar when I've had one cup of tea with one sugar (I used to have two so this is good for me), and I think it's healhy sugar. I guess it doesn't matter it's still sugar

Yes, sugar is sugar, regardless of the source. Sugar from a banana is not 'better' than sugar from your cup of tea. ;)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I wonder about sugar. If I have a banana it will tell me I've gone over my sugar when I've had one cup of tea with one sugar (I used to have two so this is good for me), and I think it's healhy sugar. I guess it doesn't matter it's still sugar

Yes, sugar is sugar, regardless of the source. Sugar from a banana is not 'better' than sugar from your cup of tea. ;)
    This... and going over sugar goal does not mean you'll gain weight. Going over calories (not the weight loss calories, but your own maintenance calories) consistently will cause weight gain, even if you don't consume added sugar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The biggest difference you may see is some extra water retention if you eat something(s) that are high in carbs and/or sodium. So, your weight may go up a couple of pounds, but it's not fat that you've put on. And the water will/should flush out in a few days, provided you don't keep eating high carb/sodium foods.

eta: Of course, you can eat high amounts of carbs and/or sodium through whole foods, too.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP--the people responding on this thread are point on, in my opinion. (I better add, so far, because you never know who may tune in)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I get better nutrition for my 1200 calories when I eat more nutritious food.
  • WinDeez
    WinDeez Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Everything comes down to calorie in/calorie out unless you have a medical condition.

For the past three weeks, I've only eaten fast food and down 2-3x large (diet) sodas everyday. However, I lost one pound (potentially more because of water retention due to high sodium intake) and look significantly leaner.

Just to clarify. I'm only talking about weight loss, not about being healthy which is different. You can still be skinny as heck and have diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Vickie96 wrote: »
    I know that to lose weight it's basically calories in and calories out, however do you find generally find that using your calories on more nutritious foods opposed to using some of them on sugary snacks etc, that you lose weight more consistently?

I find more nutritious dense foods keep me full longer and I eat less overall, therefore decreasing my calorie intake. Quality of food speaks to nutrition, quantity is what determines weight loss.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If all that matters is weight loss then by all means CICO. If your goal however is to feel energized, look lean, and firm up then the type of calories do matter. I speak from experience when I used to go by CICO only and ended up skinny-fat. Now I eat nutritionally dense foods, have more energy and mass, increased my resistance training, and have leaned up.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Quality doesn't matter much for weight loss. I mainly focus on filling foods, so I would say I eat sweets in lower quantities, but I still have plenty, enough that I don't crave them.

Macros matter some - protein is definitely a good thing to have enough of, to spare lean mass (strength training also works wonders here).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Protein "costs" slightly more calories to metabolize (via the thermic effect of food, or TEF). And I read a tiny little study that suggested that whole foods may also have a more-beneficial-to-weight-loss TEF (Postprandial energy expenditure in whole-food and processed-food meals: implications for daily energy expenditure - no idea whether it's been replicated, etc.).

But these are pretty small effects, not something you can stake a weight-loss effort on.

I gotta believe that the effect on satiation, cravings, etc. - which is somewhat individual - is a bigger issue in practical terms.