Maintenance and 30 day shred - confused!

OK - I am confused. I am maintaining at 5'3" and 108 pounds and do not want/need to lose any more weight - but actually I think I am skinny fat as although I look thin, I do have some flab still on my stomach. I don't have much muscle and never did have, but I want to get rid of this flab and I also want to be stronger and do something for cardio/heart health. I want to do the 30 day shred, as I remember enjoying this when I tried it years ago, but recently I have read so much that is confusing about it. Many people seem to be saying that they actually have put weight ON with this. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but how can I build muscle if I am eating at maintenance? I thought it was necessary to eat more than maintenance to build muscle? Does this mean that if I put on pounds of weight, this is NOT muscle, but something else? And so does it also mean, that I cannot get stronger if I do the 30 day shred at maintenance? Will I just be keeping the muscle I have?? Please could someone tell me what to expect if I do this programme? I want to do it every other day, as I know I will fall off the wagon if I commit to doing it every day! At the moment I do no "structured" exercise, but I do a daily dog walk, and also muck out a horse stable every day (as well as ordinary housework.) Thank you!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Usually the 'weight gain' associated with 3DS is fluid retention in the muscles (for repair) and not actual muscle itself (it takes a long time to build muscle, especially for females, and definitely much much longer than 30 days). If you eat at maintenance and 30ds, you may even lose a very small amount of weight (since 30DS isn't a weight lifting program bcause of the light weight and high reps) so experiment as you may need to eat a tiny bit more to maintain your weight.
  • Pearlaceous
    Pearlaceous Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you - but even if I don't build much muscle, I assume I will actually be stronger?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited May 2016
    I can't answer everything, but I'll do my best.
    OK - I am confused. I am maintaining at 5'3" and 108 pounds and do not want/need to lose any more weight - but actually I think I am skinny fat as although I look thin, I do have some flab still on my stomach. I don't have much muscle and never did have, but I want to get rid of this flab and I also want to be stronger and do something for cardio/heart health. I want to do the 30 day shred, as I remember enjoying this when I tried it years ago, but recently I have read so much that is confusing about it. Many people seem to be saying that they actually have put weight ON with this. Does this mean that if I put on pounds of weight, this is NOT muscle, but something else?

What @cerise_noir said. Also, 1) when people first start exercising, they often overestimate their burns and think that their half hour of exercise "earned" them a 500+ calorie post-workout meal, and 2) more exercise may also make some people more hungry, so they may unintentionally overeat.
    I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but how can I build muscle if I am eating at maintenance? I thought it was necessary to eat more than maintenance to build muscle?

Look into recomposition. Here's a great thread on MFP for this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    And so does it also mean, that I cannot get stronger if I do the 30 day shred at maintenance? Will I just be keeping the muscle I have?? Please could someone tell me what to expect if I do this programme? I want to do it every other day, as I know I will fall off the wagon if I commit to doing it every day! At the moment I do no "structured" exercise, but I do a daily dog walk, and also muck out a horse stable every day (as well as ordinary housework.) Thank you!
    The 30DS was one of my first forms of structured exercise that I tried out, and I *definitely* got stronger. I wouldn't worry about losing strength unless you're undereating and overtraining. Every other day doesn't sound too rigorous, but we differ as individuals, and your body will let you know if you need more or less rest time.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited May 2016
    You seem horribly confused by a raft of bro science I'm afraid!

Many people seem to be saying that they actually have put weight ON with this.
    You can put on weight with any exercise routine, or lose it, or stay the same weight. Think calorie balance not exercise routine.

I understand that muscle weighs more than fat,
    Nope, nope, nope. No more than a pound of lead weights more than a pound of feathers. Are you thinking density?

I thought it was necessary to eat more than maintenance to build muscle?
    Not at all, it's a perfectly normal response to muscle stimulation and supported by an adequate diet. More pronounced in people new to exercise.

Does this mean that if I put on pounds of weight, this is NOT muscle, but something else?
    Probably going to be some muscle, some fat (if in a calorie surplus), some lean mass including water.

And so does it also mean, that I cannot get stronger if I do the 30 day shred at maintenance?
    I increased my bench press by 50% in a deficit. Strength increase by the way isn't just as a result of muscle growth.

Will I just be keeping the muscle I have??
    Hopefully better, sounds like you are starting from a low base point, but I've no idea if 30 day shred is a suitable workout for muscle growth.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Thank you - but even if I don't build much muscle, I assume I will actually be stronger?
    yes you will. i am on day 6 and i can tell a small difference in a modified push up. not big but small difference is progress