Pasta (should I limit my intake)

Options
13»

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat pasta and lose weight - i just weigh it and make sure the portion i have is good for my daily calorie budget.

i used to go to disneyland and eat this full plate of pasta (LOVE the sauce at this one restaurant), which was quite large. now because of all the walking we do at disneyland, i can still eat half a plate but not a whole one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've limited pasta because it has been a BIG help in limiting cals and keeping a proper macro balance. I have it a couple times a month at most. I rarely order it when eating out. When I do, I puck off the protein & any veggies and eat a small amount of pasta. I usually save at least half to take home & work into 2 more meals. I imagine that a plate of pasta & sauce would use all my cals for the day & screw up my macros.

I make pasta a lot. No more calories than any other meal, and I eat it with lots of vegetables and lean meat.

I eat a serving size (57 g) or less of pasta.

Don't know why it would use up all my calories or mess up my macros. It's just a starch course.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I am following the ketogenic diet. Haven't had bread, pasta, rice or sugar since march 6. I have indulged in butter, bacon, mayo and as much ranch dressing as i want. I actually have killed 3 jars of mayo since march ... I've lost 26lbs. My fibro symptoms are gone, hormones regulated (for the first time in a decade) blood pressure normalized, acne cleared up, joint pain gone, depression and anxiety GONE!! IMHO yes. You should watch pasta intake. In fact you should nix it altogether

Eh, I like pasta, especially with lean meat and lots of veg.

I hate mayo and ranch and think bacon is overrated.

So, no, I'll keep eating pasta and not eat mayo by the jar, ugh.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    57 grams is a very small portion of pasta. I probably wouldn't even bother with that.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    2 oz, standard serving size on US packages. Dry weight. Makes quite a lot, especially if you have a substantial sauce with it.
  • Rachelcampbell92
    Rachelcampbell92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was slimming world too! Ended up I couldn't lose weight on it anymore but starting this it was an eye opener! I've cut my pasta way down compared to what I used to have! But you'd still feel depressed at the portions of pasta you can have :neutral:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am following the ketogenic diet. Haven't had bread, pasta, rice or sugar since march 6. I have indulged in butter, bacon, mayo and as much ranch dressing as i want. I actually have killed 3 jars of mayo since march ... I've lost 26lbs. My fibro symptoms are gone, hormones regulated (for the first time in a decade) blood pressure normalized, acne cleared up, joint pain gone, depression and anxiety GONE!! IMHO yes. You should watch pasta intake. In fact you should nix it altogether

Eh, I like pasta, especially with lean meat and lots of veg.

I hate mayo and ranch and think bacon is overrated.

So, no, I'll keep eating pasta and not eat mayo by the jar, ugh.

I love mayo (I probably eat about a jar of vegan mayo a month) AND pasta.
    57 grams is a very small portion of pasta. I probably wouldn't even bother with that.

I almost always eat two ounces of pasta -- once I mix it with things like sauce, vegetables, beans, etc, it's a pretty good entree.
  • Secerbus
    Secerbus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Limit it. Calorie in, calorie out, always.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    pasta is my life force and I eat lots of it with no ill effect on my fat loss. So long as you fit it into your day its like any other food really.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I always limit my pasta intake. I try not to eat more than half a tonne at one sitting (except for special occasions).

I agree with "if it fits your goals". I think the question of which foods 'aid weight loss' is very individual, because it's all about what foods fill you up, and that varies from person to person. Foods which fill you up will help you to stay within your calorie limit. I find pasta quite filling. Do you?

It's all a journey in finding out how you react to different foods, which ones fill you up, which ones leave you hungry.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    2oz serving size? Hardly worth eating! Serving size in the UK is 90g uncooked weight/200g cooked weight. I love pasta and it fills me up so I don't restrict it particularly, though I weigh it and plan for this amount when considering my calories for the day.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bariatric surgeons are advising bariatric surgery patients, who have a severely restricted stomach size, can only eat a certain volume of total food, and therefore must prioritize nutrient-dense foods to get the nutrition they need and not become deficient. Pasta is a bulky, not particularly nutritionally dense food, and probably not a great choices for those patients.

This is not generally applicable nutrition advice. Unless you are a bariatric patient under their care, probably don't take nutrition advice from bariatric surgeons.

Not all people who go to bariatric clinics end up going the surgical route. Most of us who do go to them though, are there because we are morbidly obese even if we aren't 600+ pounds. As a result, we typically have other issues like pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc. and for most of us, a low carb, high protein diet is recommended even if we DIDN'T go the surgical route.

When I finally followed up on the recommendation to go to the bariatric clinic at the hospital my PCP is a part of, it was specifically for the non-surgical plan. I didn't need to have my stomach shrunk, I needed to get my diet realistic and sustainable.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    2oz serving size? Hardly worth eating!

I used to feel the same way about having 1 piece of pizza or the notion that a pint of ice cream was 4 servings. :)

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    2 oz, standard serving size on US packages. Dry weight. Makes quite a lot, especially if you have a substantial sauce with it.

Come to Canada. Serving size is 85 grams approximately 3 ounces.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I can't get rid of it, but I am better. I weigh it and portion it, and we switched to whole grains for health.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always stick to ---as long as I'm getting my nutrient intake and I'm staying under my carb and calorie intake I'll eat pasta! I do limit it though, since I have a sedentary job. Carbs are the enemy if you're sedentary, and while I do get out and do cardio, I don't feel like it's enough to carb load haha.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    @emmadonaldson95 I LOVE love love zoodles!

Mix zoodles with something like 1 oz of angel hair pasta--very good. Another good way to bulk up a pasta dish is to use half as much pasta as you might normally and add a cup of baby spinach instead.

I think that pasta is one of those things isn't very good in terms of bang for your nutrition buck. However, even on a moderate-carb diet, I can fit it in occasionally. If you enjoy it, include it, but be sure to carefully weigh out the portions as it is easy to go overboard and use up way too much of your daily calorie/carb budget.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Here's my concern with the strict interpretation of calories in vs calories out... you could eat 1200 (or whatever your goal is) calories of pasta per day. Would you still lose weight? Yes, if you burn more than 1200 calories a day. Would you get enough nutrients? No. Period. So... short answer, you don't necessarily have to "limit your pasta intake," just make sure you're eating within your calorie goal AND not eating so much pasta that you can't fit protein, veggies, etc in there too.

Not sure where anyone said to eat 1,200 calories of pasta a day. Up till your comment, the remarks were along the lines of "as long as you can fit it in with your calories" - and one example was about 167 calories. Nobody said eat 1200 calories of pasta in a day?? Why do people always feel compelled to bring up these ridiculous arguments? Nobody assumes they can eat 1200 calories of pasta a day and nothing else. Nobody assumes that it would be smart to eat 1200 calories of oreos, ice cream, or potato chips a day either.