Please be nice about this question!

Options
I am trying to lose weight and I run and walk everyday. Am I supposed to eat the calories I've burned? Or am I supposed to stick to the 1200 calorie diet.

Please please be nice. I know some "personal trainer" or health fanatics will get heated about this.

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The general "rule" on here is to eat back half your exercise calories. I don't eat any back, but honestly, I'm a sporadic exerciser at best. My personal suggestion would be to eat back half your calories if you feel like you need them. If you feel good without eating them back, don't force yourself.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is one of my very favorite write-ups on the subject. It might help you out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you're following the MFP method, yes you are supposed to eat back exercise calories. Bear in mind that some of the calorie amounts may be inflated - people seem to recommend eating back 50-75% of them. (When I say 'people', I mean 'people on MFP that know about this stuff'. Hopefully one will come along and explain better!)

ETA: hehehe I type too slowly, but I'm glad you got good advice from the two previous posters!
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to lose a pound a week, stick to those calories or a little below, walk 2 to 3 miles on an incline 5 to 6 times a week, and do not eat any exercise calories back. Its working for me at a 2 pound a week loss.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    @wickedmaineah If you have your numbers set to lose one pound a week, you shouldn't be losing two pounds per week. Eat some of your calories back or adjust some of your settings. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and I run and walk everyday. Am I supposed to eat the calories I've burned? Or am I supposed to stick to the 1200 calorie diet.

Yes your calorie goal intends you to eat back your exercise calories to maintain the original deficit you selected.
    It's a great link that @diannethegreek posted.
    It's also worth going to the Getting Started forum and reading the sticky threads at the top of the list.

By the way walking and running calorie burns are very easy to get reasonable calorie estimates for based on distance covered.
    Exercises where you have to estimate intensity/effort are more of a lottery.
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    @wickedmaineah If you have your numbers set to lose one pound a week, you shouldn't be losing two pounds per week. Eat some of your calories back or adjust some of your settings. :)

I chose not to at this point. I am very large so I can lose 2 safely. I can adjust MFP up to 2 lbs but for some reason when I ate at 1200 I didn't lose. Probably wasnt as active and I definitely was cranky. It now gives me 1500 calories but I usually end up 1300 to 1400 and satisfied. No sense in exercising just to eat more when I am already full. I exercise to improve my overall health and stamina.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Who would get heated about this question?

If you're set to sedentary and then walking a few miles per day on top of that, eat 50-75% back (because there is a margin of error). If you're set to lightly active and the walking is already set into your daily activity, do not eat them back.

Mostly you just need to watch the scale and figure this out by using your own data.

I don't believe this is quite right. I have MFP set to Lightly Active. I also sync my Fitbit to MFP, and it is set to Lightly Active, as well. At some point the amount of walking I do each day surpasses my Lightly Active setting, especially because I run/walk at least 5.5 miles almost every day. If you are given exercise calories to eat back, regardless of your activity setting, you can eat them back. I know the number I get is accurate because I use Runkeeper, too. I don't log anything from Runkeeper. I just used it as a reference and to keep track of my improvements.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Who would get heated about this question?

If you're set to sedentary and then walking a few miles per day on top of that, eat 50-75% back (because there is a margin of error). If you're set to lightly active and the walking is already set into your daily activity, do not eat them back.

Mostly you just need to watch the scale and figure this out by using your own data.

I don't believe this is quite right. I have MFP set to Lightly Active. I also sync my Fitbit to MFP, and it is set to Lightly Active, as well. At some point the amount of walking I do each day surpasses my Lightly Active setting, especially because I run/walk at least 5.5 miles almost every day. If you are given exercise calories to eat back, regardless of your activity setting, you can eat them back. I know the number I get is accurate because I use Runkeeper, too. I don't log anything from Runkeeper. I just used it as a reference and to keep track of my improvements.

Yep, you start getting positive adjustments once you surpass mfp's lightly active level. Which will take longer to achieve than if you are set to sedentary.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think it's also about knowing what's above and beyond your usual activity. Some people log housework. I don't. I didn't log swimming on Saturday because I went with my kids and there was more splashing around than actual swimming.