Any home exercise ideas? I hate gyms!

Options
I am new here so bear with me. I'd like some kind of exercise program that I can get into and is at least somewhat fun. I used to be athletic and was into dance and gymnastics but that has kind of fallen by the wayside as I have grown older. But I loved it when I did it! I need cardio and strength. Everything. Any good ideas?

Replies

• kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Youtube.

I do the old 8-min abs/legs/whatever videos. There are lots of cardio videos there as well that you can do without equipment. I love them because I don't like having to drive somewhere just to exercise.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    For cardio: Jump rope.
    For strength: Suspensio ntrainer. I like the jungle gym XT.

For less than $100, you have a great workout system.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there are lots of fitness DVD's like p90x, 30 day shred etc that you can do, or set yourself up with cheap weights and do strength work from home...and for cardio, you can always run,swim or ride a bike..you really don't need a gym!
  • IronMan_DuhamNC
    Options
    SIMPLE. BeachBody
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well, I started off doing Pauline Nordin's Butt Bible vids on youtube.

Now (on youtube) i'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and also her Yoga Meltdown.
    also doing Couch to 5k and I lift 3x a week :)

Peruse youtube though seriously, they've got lots of good stuff!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    If you have a tablet, you can purchase the app "You're Your Own Gym." You use your body weight for weight training. You can build your weight training program and track your progress with it.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Gardening! Digging, lugging things around - stones, pots, full watering cans, build a patio, dig up a flower bed, bending and stretching to weed and prune! Perfectly serious.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    One of the circuits my personal trainer has me perform is just moving from deep squats (20) to push-ups (15) -- three sets-- after a 15-minute bout of cardio, which could be running, fast walk, or walk uphill. No equipment needed. Works, too. Just made my husband go through it. He sweated all over the place. You may have to adjust numbers slightly or do push-ups on your knees instead of toes.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Insanity! On my second tough week and it is awesome!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hand weights are remarkably cheap in the big box stores. You can do a lot to replicate circuit training with hand weights. Also, there are "zillions" of weight machines and treadmills residing in basements and garages waiting for people to take them away. You could try Craig's list or local wanted ads.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Xbox Kinect. You can do a lot with that and it tracks your whole body. You can do track and field, boxing, martial arts , Zumba/dancing.
  • andybrown152
    andybrown152 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Arghh! There's a Bear with you!
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I wont type them all but I do v sit ups, hand to feet swiss ball passes, spidermen, Russian twists with dumbbells, planks (those are for abs). Deadlifts, squats, calf raises, and lunges all with dumbbells (for legs). Dumbell shoulder shrugs, supermans, bent over flys and bent over rows (for back). I do OHP's, bicep curls, tricep kick backs, and bench press you can do all those with dumbbells too. If you use google and youtube they will both be your assets. But for me lifting weights feels so much more badass than workout tapes. Have fun!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ditto youtube. Check out the Be Fit channel.
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    If you're lost and just getting started, trying a program like P90X, Insanity, Zumba or even YouTube videos is a great start to working out at home. Doing these videos gives you a chance to learn different exercises and moves that are out there and figure out what you like and what works for you. Eventually you'll have a kick-*kitten* work-out schedule that suits YOU.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If I'm not out walking on the bike path behind my house, I'm inside dancing. I loaded up my iPod with stuff that is fun to dance to and I do it whenever no one is home (believe me, NO ONE needs to see me dancing - yet). I have a set of hand weights that I use when I'm dancing as well, and I usually throw in a bunch of squats and push-ups and I'm trying to do planks for a few seconds longer each time I do them. Good luck!
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Poi spinning, and bellydance (particularly Gothic/Tribal Fusion.) It's great fun! (And also damn sexy ;) )
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership, but I used to and I also had a personal trainer so I know a lot of what I can do at home with just a few things.

If you're disciplined and know your stuff, just get a few kettle bells, medicine ball, stability ball and skipping rope and you can get great workouts just from that. Running and biking are great for cardio, too.

Just started Insanity to jack up my workouts. Loving it!
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good workouts on YouTube such as Fitnessblender. Like someone mentioned, you can always jump rope, continuously (if you can) or in intervals for a period of time. The beach body workouts like insanity or p90x, are good, but expensive. I'm doing Insanity, and figured it would be better than spending money on a gym membership that I may not be able to get to everyday, or getting a personal trainer.

I've heard great things about the Turbo Fire workout too, so I would look into that as well.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Insanity! On my second tough week and it is awesome!

Me too!