Fitbit vs MFP

Options
Colorscheme
Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
OK, so I have a Fitbit Alta and I ran for 12 minutes and it said I burned 122 calories in the Fitbit app as mine auto logs exercise after ten minutes. But when I synch my Fitbit with MFP, MFP says I only burned 47. Anyone know what that's about??

Replies

• heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do you mean the adjustment is less? If so, it is because it does an adjustment based on your total expected calorie burn for the day compared to what mfp expects you to burn. So that exercise increased your expected burn for the total day by 47 calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You're misunderstanding how the calorie adjustment works between MFP and Fitbit.

MFP assumes you will burn an amount of calories throughout the day according to the activity level you selected (not including exercise).

Fitbit calculates your burn throughout the day and sends a projected estimate of total calories burned (including exercise) to MFP. MFP then does the math and adjusts your calories up or down as needed.

You can see the math if you go into the Exercise tab on the website and click on the little i next to Fitbit Calorie Adjustment.

~Lyssa
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Also, fitbit and mfp aren't syncing correctly today for me. So, it could have issues there for you.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Fitbit's adjustment calories in MFP are what you've burned above and beyond your activity level setting.

If you want to log the workout in MFP, enter the time that your Fitbit Dashboard logged your exercise, so that you don't "double-dip" and you can get an instant calorie credit for the full value of your run. But, you'll lose the Fitbit adjustment calories to compensate.
  • Colorscheme
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you mean the adjustment is less? If so, it is because it does an adjustment based on your total expected calorie burn for the day compared to what mfp expects you to burn. So that exercise increased your expected burn for the total day by 47 calories.

Yes, I mean the adjustment is less.

Fitbit says 122 cals burned
    MFP says 47 cals were burned

Which do I believe?

I have MFP set to sedentary and I have negative cal adjustment on, if that helps.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You're misunderstanding how the calorie adjustment works between MFP and Fitbit.

MFP assumes you will burn an amount of calories throughout the day according to the activity level you selected (not including exercise).

Fitbit calculates your burn throughout the day and sends a projected estimate of total calories burned (including exercise) to MFP. MFP then does the math and adjusts your calories up or down as needed.

You can see the math if you go into the Exercise tab on the website and click on the little i next to Fitbit Calorie Adjustment.

~Lyssa

Ok, I'll try doing that and see. Thanks for the tip.

I have my activity set to sedentary.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Yes, I mean the adjustment is less.

Fitbit says 122 cals burned
    MFP says 47 cals were burned

Which do I believe?

I have MFP set to sedentary and I have negative cal adjustment on, if that helps.

Believe both. Your run burned 122 calories, which is 47 calories more than your MFP Activity Setting already accounts for.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Ooooooh, gotcha. Thank you for the help! hahah.