2»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    That would be so convenient.
    Almost makes me want to move to the UK.
    I thought it would be more expensive. It sounds so much cheaper.
    Considering a housewife with little ones would need a car (gas, insurance).
    Not to mention the hassle of getting everyone clean, fed, and out the door.

Excellent point about picking what you want.
    Could save even more money.
    And the site saves your favorite items.
    Would save so much time!

I suppose the only downside is someone else picks the food for you, so don't always pick the freshest food and the best before date can be in a short time frame. You can return the items if you want, but have to go to the supermarket to do that, or check them when the driver arrives, but you don't always have time to do that.

My experience (with Sainbury's) is that they package short-date items separately and the driver asks if I want to accept them. It's also written on the receipt. On the odd occasion where there's something wrong, such as a broken egg that I don't notice until putting the shopping away, their telephone customer service has always given me a refund immediately and not required me to return anything.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I looked at amazon pantry.
    Same price for smucker's peanut butter as walmart. (wmt a bit cheaper).
    And.. I had to buy 6 jars.
    Shipping is a killer.
    I must be doing someting wrong.
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I suppose the only downside is someone else picks the food for you, so don't always pick the freshest food and the best before date can be in a short time frame. You can return the items if you want, but have to go to the supermarket to do that, or check them when the driver arrives, but you don't always have time to do that.

I'm pretty picky about picking up the nicest looking veggies/fruit/fresh meat etc with the longest date in the supermarket so I tend to avoid including these in my online shop, and then pick up the fresh bits from the supermarket near my workplace as and when I need them, but the bulk of our shop is done online through morrisons
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My experience (with Sainbury's) is that they package short-date items separately and the driver asks if I want to accept them. It's also written on the receipt. On the odd occasion where there's something wrong, such as a broken egg that I don't notice until putting the shopping away, their telephone customer service has always given me a refund immediately and not required me to return anything.

Tesco do this too. They note "short-date" items and ask if you want to take them. I pretty much always do. They also separate any "substitituted" items into a coloured bag so you can easily retrieve them to return if you're not happy with the substitute. Although sometimes you get a more expensive item for a reduced rate because they only charge you the amount you paid for your original choice. Got a proper-posh-cost-£5 bag of kitty litter one time for £1.55 because that was the cost of the one I ordered.

I get mine delivered once every 4 weeks, and get it on the late van for £1. I don't even own a car (although the cost of driving there and back would probably still be £1), and the bus fare to get to a supermarket big enough is £1.60+ each way. I do have a Morrisons close by, but there are several products I get from Tesco that they simply don't stock.

Just nip down to said Morrisons when I run out of perishables and the basics like bread, milk etc.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've done my grocery shopping online for 10+ years. All the major supermarkets have the facility, and it's so much easier to add to my online basket as I remember things (or as people on MFP mention them!) and the list is ready when I do my monthly shop. I don't pay a delivery charge because once your order passes a certain amount it's free on some days. When things are on offer (such as dishwasher tablets or laundry powder) I stock up, which I wouldn't be able to do if I had to carry it all home.

I only go to the store for top-ups, such as bread and fresh veggies/fruit - things that won't last a month.

Which ones offer free delivery? I've used Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons which charge as far as I know.

Sainsbury's. It's free delivery Mon-Thurs after 2 pm if you spend more than £100.

right, I don't spend that much
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »

Tesco do this too. They note "short-date" items and ask if you want to take them. I pretty much always do.

Tesco don't do this for my deliveries, I'll have to have a word with the driver on my next delivery.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »
    Tesco do this too. They note "short-date" items and ask if you want to take them. I pretty much always do.

Tesco don't do this for my deliveries, I'll have to have a word with the driver on my next delivery.

They're actually listed right there on the receipt as a separate category for me. Near the top, where they put the "items we substituted" section, they list "items that expire soon after delivery". So that won't be anything to do with the driver, as they don't print the receipts.

I'd show an example, but I've not had a short-date item for months now. Maybe not even this year?

Also, it's Tesco company policy to pick the longest dates available (so, the freshest food) for online delivery orders, so if you're consistently getting short dates you need to have a word with the store as the pickers aren't doing their job properly. That or the store just doesn't have produce that fresh.
  • zhakaashonline
    zhakaashonline Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for online shopping in Patna then it is best to get from zhakaash.com. It actually used to provide service which is really one of best e-commerce. However, used to provide service on time and in budget. So what are you looking for just order your products.

online grocery in Patna
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That would be so convenient.
    Almost makes me want to move to the UK.
    I thought it would be more expensive. It sounds so much cheaper.
    Considering a housewife with little ones would need a car (gas, insurance).
    Not to mention the hassle of getting everyone clean, fed, and out the door.

Excellent point about picking what you want.
    Could save even more money.
    And the site saves your favorite items.
    Would save so much time!

It's great....sadly there's a minimum spend of between 25 and 40 gbp so not suitable for a small shop.