Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting Bigger Before Getting Smaller

2»

Replies

• hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    hokiemom14 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm skinny in general in comparison to most people. I'm very fit overall. I run marathons and 24 hour runs take cardio and strength classes and walk/run with my double stroller often. I'm very good with nutrition as it's something I've been aware of for many years. I do have to disagree with the eating clean topic because it does make a good bit of difference as I have been on both sides, but I do agree with weighing out food again. I'm going to do it, but I know portion sizes like the back of my hand. I'll have to update after I weight it out tonight. I'm going to do the chicken for my salad tonight and make sure I'm still on track :)

If you are already lean, then yes any muscle you add will take up space. If you don't have excess fat to lose, think about it, the muscles have to build up and there is nothing to shrink to compensate. That's the situation I was in. You are bulking, basically. If you don't want to add muscle you will have to eat less, but it's not wrong or bad to add muscle. There's a very good thread somewhere called "relatively lean people trying to get leaner", you could post there.

I do a have a bit of fat I could lose in the thighs, but nothing crazy. I'm trying to restrict just a few hundred calories a day to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the reference to the thread you mentioned. I'll try to find that :)

• hokiemom14
    Is there any chance you're pregnant? That would take a "few months" to show up...

No change :) But at least that would have been an explanation lol.
  • hokiemom14
    Do you know your Lean Body Mass?

So important... scales really are not your best friend. By knowing your LBM you can really pinpoint the cause. Outside of that you are literally lost shooting in the dark. Get an Omnicrom bf machine on Amazon. They are fairly cheap and reasonably accurate.

You take your bf% x your weight and subtract the result from you weight to get you LBM. Then you can determine what type of weight you are gaining.

Sodium intake... Check it in MFP.
    Calorie deficit... Are you below your goal?

Get away from the myth that lifting weights is going to bulk you up... Especially in a week or even 3. That is just not going to happen.

Keep lifting weight and track your body composition to understand where you are.

Thanks. I'll check into getting an omnicrom. I've never had to literally watch things so closely before. If I wanted to lose weight or tone up more I just did it by watching what I eat and exercising. Maybe my metabolism is starting to slow down...that's actually what I feel may be happening. I'm having to try even harder now than I've ever had to try before. I guess it's a good time to figure out my lbm.