Need help hitting my macros

Options
MissSusieQ
MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
hi all,
ic0mxdhd4pye.png

stinkin' vegetarian here, struggling to hit my macros. I posted earlier looking for help in setting my macros and was directed to a post suggesting that 1g of protien per lb of lean mass and 0.35g of fat per lb body mass would be a good place to start, so not I'm trying to mock up a day's food using those two as guides, but I'm struggling to hit my protein goal without blowing out my carbs, even before i add in snacks.

I'm chucking a screenshot of my work so far, please give me suggestions!!

keep in mind - vegetarian. I eat dairy and eggs but no seafood. i have no problem with protein supplements - my pantry has a couple of varieties of bulk nutrients WPI that I'm happy with.

and... go!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is pretty close. You could cut/reduce the rice to have a larger portion of tofu.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your goal/split is realistic/necessary? Vegetarian and low carb don't mix well - plants are mostly carbs. Even with milk and eggs, you will struggle. Your protein goal seems a bit excessive, both in grams (needs) and in percentage (practical). My suggestion is to try a more moderate approach first and see if that can work, for instance 100 g carbs, 60 g fat, 80 g protein.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    In this particular meal I would have done two things. Note, I am not vegetarian, but I am low carb and these are tricks I use in general:
    1) I use unsweetened almond milk. That would save 11g/carbs vs the skim milk.
    2) I make cauliflower rice! It's super easy, just buzz up cauliflower in a food processor. Pick out the chunks, and then heat it up over med-high heat for 3-5 minutes until its cooked through and warm.

You can also sub quinoa in for most other grains, it has a higher protein content. Greek yogurt and black bean burgers (actually, beans in general), egg whites, Feta, Cottage cheese, peas and broccoli are all also good options for getting your protein up (those last two are going to hit your carbs though)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    why the heck is your carb goal so low?

And what are your stats? Because if you're of average weight/height you've probably already met your protein and fat goals. I'd say fill the rest in with carbs and don't worry about it.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    for those of you asking why my carbs are so low/protien so high etc, I set my goals based on the 'how to work out your macros' post, and the two formula I mentioned in my initial post.
    So I'm not being deliberately low carb, it's just that once I set my protien and fat macros, that's what i had left for carbs!
    And frankly, this is exactly why I asked (in another post) how to work out what my 'gold medal' macros would be!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MissSusieQ wrote: »
    for those of you asking why my carbs are so low/protien so high etc, I set my goals based on the 'how to work out your macros' post, and the two formula I mentioned in my initial post.
    So I'm not being deliberately low carb, it's just that once I set my protien and fat macros, that's what i had left for carbs!
    And frankly, this is exactly why I asked (in another post) how to work out what my 'gold medal' macros would be!

We need protein. Eat enough -- ok to go over.
    We need fats. Eat enough -- ok to go over.
    ======
    The amount of carbs we eat does not matter one way or another. Go under or go over.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    MissSusieQ wrote: »

We need protein. Eat enough -- ok to go over.
    We need fats. Eat enough -- ok to go over.
    ======
    The amount of carbs we eat does not matter one way or another. Go under or go over.

This. But for OPs stats she's met her protein and fat requirements.

I generally recommend 40c/30p/30f because for most people it hits right on the mark for protein and fat requirements while giving them enough carbs to meet micronutrient goals. But even then, they can fill in with more fat/protein instead so long as they are meeting their vitamin and mineral needs.