Bulge/bump on lower neck?

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, a few weeks ago I noticed a small bulge on my neck, and since I had done some exercises that left my neck sore, I attributed it to just that and kept checking the bulge. Eventually it went away in about a week or two. Its now about a month later, and I swear the bulge feels A LOT bigger and its starting to worry me a bit. Its a little under my adam's apple and to the sides of it....I know about thyroid disorders so I was googling a bit, and I don't think I have many other symptoms of what would be considered a thyroid problem....Am I just discovering this now or should there be no bulges in my neck what so ever? I don't think I can really see a bulge, I'm not exactly sure since I've never really looked/payed attention to the way my neck looked before, but I can definitely clearly feel a huge bulge with my hands....Anyone have any experience with this? And should I probably be setting up a doctor's appointment by now?

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Really? Yes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swap 'soon' for 'now'....

And seriously, don't Google anything to do with your health....
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have my aunt check tomorrow morning, she has been a nurse for over 30 years now. If she sees concern then I will definitely make a doctors appointment. I trust her judgement. This barely happened tonight, so its not like I've been sitting here for days wondering if I should go to a doctor lol
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor!
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd go see a doctor. Better safe then sorry.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Where on your neck is it? I had a bulge once. It was an enflamed lymph node and it eventually went down. (Righ under chin on neck). You should get it looked at regardless though I know of a girl who had something similar and it ended up being really serious. See a doctor ASAP!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    You should definitely see a doctor. It could be as simple as a lipoma, but there is no way to know without getting some test done.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    See your GP and get blood tests for thyroid hormone levels, and if you can, get a referral to an endocrinologist to do an ultrasound. I had a few benign nodules but my thyroid function was ok, no typical hypothyroid symptoms ... until all of a sudden, the thyroid decided to go on strike and I felt awful. I was glad the process of getting tests etc was already underway. Plus it was very reassuring that the ultrasound showed only a few small nodules.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yep, go see a doctor.

Like @emmyshneid, I've been to the doctor for a neck lump. It didn't shrink after quite awhile so I had an ultraound and it was just a normal lymph node. Better safe than sorry though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Could be a swolen gland or lymphnode. I had one surgically removed from underneath my ear about 15 years ago. You should get it looked at as they'll have to biopsy it to make sure it's not cancerous. My exam involved them putting a camera down my throat to look at it from the inside, a needle biopsy, and then surgical removal. Turned out to be benign but these things can turn. Go get it checked out.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    probably a goiter. no jk, doctor time
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Fine to see your aunt, but see your doctor, too. Thyroid issues can be tricky to palpate (feel with the hand). They are better diagnosed with ultrasound. I had a *ginormous* benign nodule on my thyroid- it went way up my neck & down under my clavicle. A few weeks before it was diagnosed, I had my annual physical, and my very good & very experienced doctor did not detect it. Who knows how big it was at my annual- it was a bit stiff & sore already, though. I remember forgetting to mention it at my annual. But still - I was later told by my thyroid surgeon that it had to have been enlarged already, but it went inward more than outward - happens sometimes. Anyway, even experienced medical people can't always diagnose thyroid issues by touch.

Thryroid nodules can be benign & mean little at all. It's quite possible to have nodules & no symptoms. My ginormous nodule was benign. However, studying it made them discover a thyroid cancer on the other side that was growing into my vocal cord & almost cost me my voice. Lucky coincidence- I'm very grateful to my ginormous benign nodule.

It could also be a lymph node. But it needs to be checked.