Feeling like quitting this!

Options

Replies

• musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! I feel like quiting but my drive to continue is greater. I have been working out 5 days a week for three weeks now and only lost 3 lbs. I walk/jog between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 miles those days and some cross fit training exercises. I have been soda free and gluten free since February 2012. Changing to gluten free was the hardest thing ever! I am slowly re-incorporating some gluten due to my desicion to run alot. The first 2-4 weeks of any kind of change is so hard and everyone's body responds differently. It will take some more time to get all the toxins out of your body. Look at it as: it didn't take you 2 weeks to get unhealthy So it will take more than two to get healthy. You made the desision to better your health for some reason so don't give up on it.

I would like to go walking or jogging, but my feet won't let me, due to pain in my outer arches... have an appointment with my doctor in August for this...
  • musicteacher40
    Options
    There are a number of reasons this can happen. What works is a calorie deficit of 500-1000 per day, some simple strength training and 90 minutes of cardio exercise a week. If you are still not losing, it is probably becaue you are eating to much. In the end, a doctor should be able to help.

I do cardio 3 days a week, which equals about 75 minutes... and strength with weights (kettlebell and dumbell) with my other workout... My doctor has said 1500 calorie due to hypoglycemia (not enough sugar produced)... I usually have no more than 1200 - 1300.
  • musicteacher40
    Options
    Read the success stories - there you will find people who DO think this is worth it. The weight didn't go on in four weeks, and it will take a long time to come off. Your diary is closed so it is hard for people to help you. One thing - YOU have to be ready to "want" this as they say - to have that moment when you just think "that's it"!

Check this out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Gender and age are no barrier to losing weight - I was 60 when I started this, lost weight.

Focus on change not goals. If you change and substitute healthy choices in all things, the goal will come.

Good luck, I hope you don't stay discouraged.
    PS Giving up pop and drinking lots of water are two great things to start with food-wise, also exercising regularly - good work. :smile:

I have tried to open my diary and make it public, but then I keep getting weird prompts saying I can't....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old; I'm about 5' 7 1/2" tall and weight 190.7 now :'(.... I have had a goal of trying to get to 150 pounds....

I have been faithfully logging all I eat and all my exercise.... i have set to burn 350, but usually burn around 600 calories or more throughout the day...

I have MFP set for me to eat 1700 calories per day and average about 1200 calories.

I have been doing some weight workouts as well. I am trying to do everything right from the many articles that I have read as well as what my Doctor has told me I need to be doing...

So with all this... I hope you can see why I'm frustrated... (this and no support from my husband...long story and don't need to go there).... By the way... I limit my calories as my husband does all the cooking and cooks a lot of preboxed meals and with a lot of fat/oil.... I have just limited the amount I eat... and once school starts up for me in 5 weeks I will not have time to eat but just meals times as I am an educator....

Are you entering your own recipes? It can be hard if you're not the one cooking but if you don't take the time then your calorie counts will not be accurate.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Do you consistantly use food scales, measuring cups and so on? Getting accurate measurements gives more accurate calorie counts.

I use measuring cups... with my husband's cooking this about the best I can do....

In this case I suspect your calorie counts are off. Especially if he isn't measuring accurately when he cooks. Is there any way that you can take over the cooking?
  • musicteacher40
    Options
    Feeling discouraged, I came to MFP's Message Boards... THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for words of advice and encouragement to the original post... it has helped me today just as your words have helped others. Please know your postings matter to people.

I've been eating healthy and at or below 1,200 calories for two weeks, with treadmill every other day for the first week and now doing Supreme 90Day workout everyday (with its recommended rest days). And the result? I've GAINED 2 lbs and no, clothes don't fit any better. This has happened before when I count calories and exercise and I don't know why, thus I end up getting so discouraged I go back to my norm (at least I don't gain weight then). Soooooo hard to stay motivated with these results.

Anyone have the same experience? Anyone know why? Most importantly, anyone know how to stop it? :-)
    THANKS

H 5’6.5” W 185 A 57 female
    Calories: 1,200/day
    Exercise: Burning anywhere from 120 to 300 per day + or – when on Supreme 90Day

This is what I was saying in my first post... I know everyone is trying to say things to help me, but......
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is that you start to enjoy the journey. Are you depriving yourself of foods you love? Do you hate the exercise that you do? If so, sit down and make a new plan from scratch. Incorporate foods you love and exercise you enjoy into a program that you can see yourself doing forever! Once you find that, you've got it beat because it won't matter if it takes a while.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change takes practice. Hang in there and just keep moving forward.
  • musicteacher40
    Options
    So you just give up? It gets hard and you give up?

That's what I said too. WTF? Sounds like this person was not 100% dedicated from the get go.

How cruel.... I don't see how this is beneficial.... I don't have anyone that I can workout with... I'm doing this on my own, in my own living room/yard and when my husband gets up in the mornings, when I'm working out, I hear all sorts of stuff that would make anyone quite, like why am I taking up space in the living room and other crap that I will not put on here... So until you are in someone's shoes, please don't assume that I'm not 100% dedicated.... I don't need more crap from a place that I thought was to be supportive!
  • musicteacher40
    Options
    I think the most important thing is that you start to enjoy the journey. Are you depriving yourself of foods you love? Do you hate the exercise that you do? If so, sit down and make a new plan from scratch. Incorporate foods you love and exercise you enjoy into a program that you can see yourself doing forever! Once you find that, you've got it beat because it won't matter if it takes a while.

Problem is...the foods that I love are the foods that I can not afford to buy or to get my husband to purchase. Like I said, he does the cooking, but I did forget to mention that he also does the food shopping.... (Just an FYI, he is about 350 pounds over weight)... I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses and I think that is what people are thinking about my posts... This is what I have to live with, this is what I deal with on a daily basis... I am trying to do the best I can with what I've got....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Problem is...the foods that I love are the foods that I can not afford to buy or to get my husband to purchase. Like I said, he does the cooking, but I did forget to mention that he also does the food shopping.... (Just an FYI, he is about 350 pounds over weight)... I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses and I think that is what people are thinking about my posts... This is what I have to live with, this is what I deal with on a daily basis... I am trying to do the best I can with what I've got....

Can you talk to your husband about taking over part of the food shopping and cooking responsibilities?
  • musicteacher40
    Options

Can you talk to your husband about taking over part of the food shopping and cooking responsibilities?

I have had multiple conversations about cooking more healthy and letting me...but it always ends up in a huge fight...so rather than deal with that, I just do what I can.... He does not work at all and my income is all we have (and I'm a rich school teacher)...so this is why the arrangement was made years ago... I tried weight loss about a year ago and ended up stopping because of his comments and lack of support.... (once again, I am not trying to make excuses, just trying to get people to understand why this is so hard for me and so frustrating....)
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I know exactly how you feel! We take turns cooking here which has made a great difference since my brother has been living with us and currently weighs about 350 pounds but still wants the potatoes fried and sees nothing wrong with eating the double size package of 3 musketeers in between meals. Oh, and a box came in the mail where he actually ordered a case of hot potato chips.

In the mean time i am trying my best to get everyone on-board about how it's learning to eat healthy, not about diet. There are so many ways to cook the same food that it can either be good for you or not.

Is it possible that you could take turns cooking? Or maybe you would take 2 days a week to do it? Then find recipes that make healthy foods so tasty he wants to try them again.
  • musicteacher40
    Options

I know exactly how you feel! We take turns cooking here which has made a great difference since my brother has been living with us and currently weighs about 350 pounds but still wants the potatoes fried and sees nothing wrong with eating the double size package of 3 musketeers in between meals. Oh, and a box came in the mail where he actually ordered a case of hot potato chips.

In the mean time i am trying my best to get everyone on-board about how it's learning to eat healthy, not about diet. There are so many ways to cook the same food that it can either be good for you or not.

Is it possible that you could take turns cooking? Or maybe you would take 2 days a week to do it? Then find recipes that make healthy foods so tasty he wants to try them again.

He won't let me cook... it causes fights and I just don't want to deal with those... as they used to get physical... His almost 500 pound body coming after my 190 pound body would do a lot of damage to me...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

He won't let me cook... it causes fights and I just don't want to deal with those... as they used to get physical... His almost 500 pound body coming after my 190 pound body would do a lot of damage to me...

:noway:

If he is getting physical with you then why are you still with him?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

...I was going to suggest either trying to figure out the calories for the meals he's making since they're all prepackaged and the other things like meat/milk/etc would be in the fridge or cupboards, but now I'd like to add the suggestion that you speak with someone about your home situation if you haven't already. I understand he probably won't go, but if he's become physically abusive there are bigger issues here. I wish you the best of luck in your life and weight loss journey.
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so as you work out your building muscle,same happened to me the first few weeks of exercising it was depressing, but I stuck with it and its paying off............... dont quit, keep trucking.you didnt gain it over night and you sure as heck aint gonna lose it over night!!!:smile:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If what you are saying is true, your problems are much bigger than the refusal of your scale to reduce. This is becoming sadder and sadder, from your husband won't cook in a healthy way, to him belittling you when you exercise, to him not letting you cook, to your fear that if you try to change any of this, he will physically abuse you and in fact has in the past....while you earn all the money.

You have a responsible job, you earn money, you are educated and smart enough to be concerned about your long-term health and fitness, and yet you are allowing someone who sounds like, from your description, an unemployed bully to control aspects of your life that you care deeply about. No one here can help you with this. It is a huge thing you're facing here, and the real question is: How do you want to live the rest of your life? And if the answer is that you want to live it differently than you have been up to know, then the question is, do you have the courage to do something that feels so earth-shattering to you now in order to have a freer life in the future?
  • OregonBekah
    OregonBekah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just checking to see what your calorie count is. Just make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. Any less and your body thinks it is starving. Try boosting your calorie count for a week or two and then drop the count back down to 1200 or 1300 calories and see if that helps.

I can feel your pain and as one who struggles with gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for the past 2 years I totally understand your frustration. I have just decided that logging my food and eating healthy is a good thing.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you to eat 1700 and limit yourself to 1200 average, which means you probably eat less than 1200 regularly. No wonder why you want to give up.

Eat your 1700 cals and you will lose. Try to limit your sodium and have more veggies. Walk a bit more than you have been.

Even though your husband does the cooking, do you really have to eat the food he cooks. Cant you eat food you cook and he eats the food he cooks, .I understand that you might not have the funds to do separate shopping so that might not be possible.

You can still enjoy meals with him but add a salad to your dinner or heat up some frozen veggies to eat with what he cooks. You can get more cals that way and still have healthy options with the processed meals.