I had a horrible week of eating really bad, and Im having trouble getting back on track

I lost some weight with weight watchers, and haven't had the same success with counting calories yet. I always end up following it for a couple days, then failing and quitting. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1380, with a little bit better success, but sometimes feel like im not satisfied. Any advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Did your goal of 1,380 come from MFP? It's possible that you could eat more -- did you pick a goal of 2 pounds per week?
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    How much weight are you trying to lose? I bet you're having trouble staying on track because you're hungry! I've always been able to steadily lose weight (about a pound a week) eating between 1600-1700 calories a day and aiming for 4 workouts of 45-60 minutes each per week. I don't eat back my calories, and I don't eat less than 1600-1700 even on days when I don't work out. I find that to be sustainable. Of course I have my moments where I have to say "no" to dessert when I'm out with friends or "no" to that second glass of wine, but I find that 1600-1700 calories per day generally gives me the flexibility to not feel utterly deprived.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    What is your weekly weight loss goal? Maybe it is too aggressive. How much weight do you want to lose? What is your starting weight and height?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Are you picking foods that have more substance (i.e. higher in fat, protein, and fiber) vs. Empty calories (calories with very little nutritional content?)

That was always my problem in the past with weight watchers. I kept eating the lowest point foods I could find and was always hungry.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    You need to decide you want to lose weight, figure out reason why you want it...and simply stick to it. You either want it enough or you don't. You can find support here on forum of course...but what it really comes down to is YOU. Your determination to get healthier. That's it. Some people do need more support (former ED and similar) so in that case it's advisable to have professional support as well.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited May 2016
    You could exercise which increases the amount of calories you can eat. Also make sure you're getting plenty of fiber, protein and fat which helps keep me full/satisfied.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I agree that choosing a slower rate of loss is helpful in the beginning. I'm set to 1lb a week, even though I have enough to lose that I could do 2. But 1lb a week gives me 1900 calories to work with, and that's more than enough to find satiafaction.

But that's neither here nor there, you say you even quit just counting. I took a break yesterday from logging accurately and the answer to "quitting" is to just stop doing it. Don't quit anymore. In the past today would be a day of regret and self hate for me because I over ate and didnt log, or even exercise yesterday. But this is a lifetime journey, not a short sprint then it's over. Do what you can keep on doing.

Make a plan! After however long you've been off logging, make a plan that whatever your calorie goal you just log everything. Make that your focus habit for now. Set to maintenance even. Just logging is a great habit builder, I think it's a good place to get started if you haven't been successful before. Log until it feels wrong not to log. It definitely felt off yesterday for me without logging, and my brand new fancy food scale is only making logging easier, so I got right back to it this morning.

The key when you fall is to get back up. You can do it!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Slow and steady is the way. Losing weight is a not a race, it is a lifestyle that you will have to follow in some ways the rest of your life. You have to decide you want it. Then, you have to find a balance.

I recommend setting your calories to losing only a half pound or one pound a week, no more. Yes, it's "slower" but more importantly, it's livable! And you're not setting yourself up to failure because you're hungry.

Also, don't worry about a "bad" day of eating. It's not bad. It's just over your allotted calories. Balance it by eating fewer calories and/or exercising more in the 6 days around the overage day. You'll see you can still lose weight because you are paying attention and making small changes and accounting for your behavior.

The most important part of this equation is your determination. Do it. And when you don't do it so good, you start doing it again. And again. And I know you can do it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Goal too aggressive. I lost 80 pounds, wasn't that crazy active (mostly walking, honestly), and never ate under 1650 calories to lose. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    i think you mentally have to be ready. i lost about 16 lbs, then i started eating anything and everything and not only gained back the 16 lbs, but also managed to gain even more on top of that! yesterday, something CLICKED in my mind and i woke-up this morning completely and totally ready to dedicate myself to getting this weight OFF. you can say you want it all day long, but until your mind is set, you will only fail.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Just jump back in! The water's cold, but that too shall pass.

But seriously, if you're not satisfied, eat bulky foods that are filling and have low calories (e.g., vegetables), protein, fat. And if you need to, increase your cals. You may find you're satisfied on less once you're back to feeling like, say, 1500, is normal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Did you weigh yourself? All the motivation I need usually...
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I understand this completely. I basically just wasted the last month. I had a streak over 120 days of logging my food on MFP and now I am on Day 1.

I decided that today I was getting back on track and I have done well so far today. It isn't because I feel motivated or because I am mad at myself. It's just that I have goals that I have not yet reached. And, I won't ever reach them if I don't count calories.

Sometimes you just have to get out of your own head. Stop thinking about it so much and just do it. After a few days it will get easier. And if the day comes that you stop logging again, you just pick yourself up and do it again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I lost some weight with weight watchers, and haven't had the same success with counting calories yet. I always end up following it for a couple days, then failing and quitting. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1380, with a little bit better success, but sometimes feel like im not satisfied. Any advice?

I'd fail on a mere 1200 or 1380 calories too. I'm almost 5'7" - how tall are you, how many pounds do you have to go to get to your goal weight, and what did you set your weekly weight loss goal to?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If you had success with weight watchers ask yourself why...then see if you can copy it.

Was it the meetings?
    The "free" fruit and veggies?

think about it...
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 799 Member
    1380 calories doesn't always mean the goal is too aggressive. My .5 loss/wk calories are 1380. If you're short or have a little less to lose then you don't as many calories. It can make it a little more difficult but I've been eating back some of my exercise calories and also looking into intermittent fasting to have a smaller window of time to eat so that it's easier to not go over calories:)