Need help with new TDEE

Options
Returned to exercise today after my 2 week break (due to minor surgery) and it feels great! I was just reevaluating my TDEE and need some help.

TDEE for sedentary: 1671
25% calorie reduction: 1253

TDEE for moderately active: 2158
30% calorie reduction: 1510

In regards to the calorie reduction for moderately active: does eating that many more calories than sedentary not sort of reverse the calories burned through your exercise? Is it not the same as eating back your exercise calories? I burn an estimated 600ish daily in the gym (according to the machines which I know isn't accurate) and an additional 400ish calories daily from steps, again I know this isn't accurate.)

And would you say I am moderately active? I'm continuing with 45mins cardio 7 days a week. And walk between 14,000 and 20,000 steps 5 times a week (according to health app.)

Im constantly wondering wether I should just eat sedentary calories so would like some input from others. Thanks everyone hope that all makes sense.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You need the extra calories to fuel your exercise.
    Too few calories will allow you to lose faster at first, but the chances of becoming lethargic- lowering daily activity, not performing optimally when exercising, will eventually lower your TDEE long term.

Give the moderately active TDEE numbers a go for a month and see if you are losing at your expected rate. If not tweak your intake up or down so you are meeting your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1500 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 3 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.