Non Boring foods and Go!

Options
I am having a extremely hard time trying to find foods to eat in my new healthy lifestyle that actually taste amazing. From snacks to all meals. What are some of the great meals and snacks you all have tried?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are some of your favorite foods? Do you like stuff that is crunchy, spicy, salty, sweet, creamy? Knowing what you like and what you miss may make it easier for people to make suggestions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Very hard to know what others like or find boring. It would also be a gargantuan task to list all the dishes one likes. Can't you borrow a cookbook or look online? My advice would be to look around first, and after you've narrowed it down, to go to "Recipes" in here ask more specific questions, if you still need help...
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love using different spices and seasoning it changes the way everything tastes. Right now I'm into smokey flavors. I also enjoy grilled fish done in a Cedar plank
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything I eat boring!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    What do you love to eat? Eat that, just smaller portions so they fit into your daily calories. ANY food you love, you can eat. Remember, for weight loss what matters is a calorie deficit. Want it "healthier" than fast food/restaurant? Learn to make it... that's what I've done with a lot of food - and it's cheaper too!
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the foods that you already know you love and don't find boring, just in smaller, more sensible portions that you weigh and correctly log?

A healthy lifestyle is subjective, as is the distinction between exciting and boring food. To me, my healthy lifestyle is being conscious of how much food I'm taking in and keeping an eye on my macros. To others, a healthy lifestyle is full of vegetables. It's really something that's more up to you than anything, but definitely don't go giving up all your exciting foods and make yourself eat something you find boring :)
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    creamy = avacado
    salty = vinegar veggies or pickles
    crunchy = apple, carrots, pickles
    sweet = raspberries, blueberries
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods I always did just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal. My diary is public.

Breakfast- typically Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- typically sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles (about 100-300 calories)
    I post recipes and my monthly meal plan on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/

I find food ideas on Pinterest a lot.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com
    http://www.ohsheglows.com
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the foods that you already know you love and don't find boring, just in smaller, more sensible portions that you weigh and correctly log?

A healthy lifestyle is subjective, as is the distinction between exciting and boring food. To me, my healthy lifestyle is being conscious of how much food I'm taking in and keeping an eye on my macros. To others, a healthy lifestyle is full of vegetables. It's really something that's more up to you than anything, but definitely don't go giving up all your exciting foods and make yourself eat something you find boring :)

This first part was key for me. There was one week where I'd gone out and bought several "new" foods and I found myself having a binge. When I went back and really thought about the foods my food diary, I didn't even really like them.

For an example of this "eat foods you love, just less" a portion of a delicious and CHEESY Enchilada Casserole was 360g and was 500 calories. If that doesn't fit into a day, 200g was satisfying as left overs and only 300 calories. Add a huge pile of veggies that you love and that's a full meal of food you enjoy, and you make the calories fit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads currently: Dark leafy greens (like a lot), red cabbage, mushroom, carrots, avocado, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic powder. Sometimes I go heavy on the avocado and make it a vegetarian salad and sometimes I add a half can of tuna, shrimp, or even hard boiled egg. Today I went heavy on the avocado AND added two eggs :)

It's seriously delicious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Some non-boring healthy meals I've had recently:

smoked pork butt with slaw and broccoli
    venison burgers with pickled beets and sugar snap peas
    grilled salmon with rosemary potatoes and salad
    pan seered swordfish with roasted brussel sprouts
    venison stew
    roast chicken with a wild rice pilaf and collard greens
    chicken marsala
    spaghetti with meatballs
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I love using different spices and seasoning it changes the way everything tastes. Right now I'm into smokey flavors. I also enjoy grilled fish done in a Cedar plank
    I'm coming over, ready a plate!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnytaste.com is my go-to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    101cookbooks is an inspiring site.

Epicurious is a nice basic source.