Hypothyroidism AND hypoglycemia?

saschka7
saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
Does anyone have a low thyroid for which they take meds but for some reason, have also developed hypoglycemia? Is there a connection between the two?

I've been on hypothyroid meds for about 10 years no with little or no fluctuation and all of the sudden (well, within the last 2 months), I've gained weight all around the middle (instead of normally gaining weight evenly all over), started noticing my hair is dry for the first time in my life, and experiencing vertigo--all of which are symptoms of underactive thyroid. In addition, I've been having low blood sugar attacks to the point that my lips tingle and I get all shaky, etc.

I'm going to the doctor in 2 days to get levels checked but the low blood sugar thing is really scaring me since I've never experienced it before. I eat every 3-4 hours (unless I'm sleeping) and eat a balance of carbs/protein for each meal/snack. I drink about 8 ounces of soda a week and pretty much avoid the typical processed high-sugar empty calorie type foods.

Has anyone else had this? I've never been diagnosed with diabetes although it does run in my family, but from what I understand low blood sugar doesn't automatically mean a person is diabetic. It's just a little scary. :grumble:

Replies

• saschka7
    I would also add that I only understand in the general way how food affects blood sugar level. I've also been thirstier than normal lately but from what I understand, that's usually associated with high blood sugar, not low so it's probably no wonder I'm confused.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Is your doctor going to do a full blood panel or just your thyroid levels?

If you're concerned about your blood sugar I would get that tested as well instead of guessing at what your issue could be.
  • saschka7
    I'm going to ask for a full blood panel. I know nothing is gained from worrying over anything and 2 days isn't long to wait....it's just that all these symptoms started happening at the same time which is why I think they may be related.

I'm not going to do the doctor's job for him, but I am just a little anxious. :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    LOL. It doesn't hurt to be prepared or concerned.

As long as he/she does a full blood panel and goes over the results with you it'll put your mind at ease.
  • Hey there,
    I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 23 years....all your concerns are valid.
    You are correct, when you are very thirsty and also peeing alot (pee is almost all clear)....that is a sign of high sugars. If it does run in your family, you can also be borderline (which means you can control it by just diet and exercise) and your pancreas still producing insulin....which is great.
    There alot of people that have hypoglycemia....and they are not necessarily diabetic. If you have any diabetic friends, ask them to just test your blood sugar. I had a friend at work that was complaining of being really tired and thirsty for months and also he had lost alot of weight, I ended up checking his sugars and they were 37.9.....(normal range is 4.0 - 8.0).....so needless to say, it's better to be safe then sorry.
    I agree with the other MFP pals, it's better to be prepared......you are also correct to assume the correlation with hypothyroidism and diabetes as usually if you have diabetes, they will do constant bloodwork to monitor your TSH levels etc. for hypo/hyper thyrodism.
    You can also get those urine sticks and just dip it in your urine and see if you have glucose in your urine or keytones....
    Hope this helps. Not to stress over it, Diabetes although chronic is manageable....
    Raj