Cardio, then weights

Options
2»

Replies

• jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think the theory is that cardio depletes your glycogen so your lifting routine will suffer if you do it after cardio. I guess lifting doesn't deplete it as much but I'm no expert. Either way I find I get a better work out if I do my cardio after lifting.

Also, I don't fancy holding 100+ kilos over my face when I'm all weak and shakey after my run lol
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Does it matter which order you complete them? I've heard that you should do weights and then cardio. But I prefer the other way.

Depends on your preference...
    And I would also say which area you wish to excel in....

If you prefer to be better w/ cardio/stamina etc....then do that first.

If you are wanting to get stronger, go up in lifts, etc...then do resistance first.

This way you can be fresh/have the most energy in which ever area you prefer.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Separate days is best. If you do them together cardio first is probably best. Doing cardio afterward activates AMPK, which can inhibit mTOR (protein synthesis/muscle growth). For most people, though, it probably isn't a big deal either way.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 5x5 last week. I am currently doing about 40-45 min on the treadmill on my lifting days (after lifting) then 60-90 min on 2-3 off days with 1 total rest day. I may change this up as I get further along and my weights increase. I was able to tell this morning, thanks to my Fitbit, that my calorie burn during cardio was higher, by a small amount, than it was yesterday when I was just doing cardio. My inclines and speeds were a little less today than yesterday so if I had kept them the same I would have had an even bigger difference.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first thing in the morning, then I move into body weight training. I don't lift right now so my opinion may be skewed, but if I were lifting again, I'd do it either in the evening after I've recovered from the cardio or on a separate day. I generally push myself pretty hard during cardio and afterward with body weight training so there's little energy left for lifting. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with body weight training and have not gone back to lifting. If I want to increase my muscle size later on down the road I may go back to it but for now I'm content. Body weight training, at least for me, seemed to yield better results on a deficit for me. Now in maintenance I'm seeing real gains from it. Slower, mind you (probably because I'm not at a calorie surplus), but gains none the less with body re-composition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    chipdogwa wrote: »
    The point of doing Cardio after weights is to work the lactic acid out of your muscles. If muscle soreness isn't really an issue for you, do what you like.
    Lactic acid in the muscles recover fast on it's own and isn't due to performing cardio after lifting. If one ran uphill, lactic acid would build up even if it is a cardio exercise. Muscle soreness isn't due to lactic acid build up. It's due to muscle being micro torn and repairing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio first then lift when I was doing my cardio at the gym. Mainly because I knew I wouldn't do it other wise. I'm a bit more disciplined now and I go to the gym and lift then do my cardio right after I get home (If I don't then I'll get lazy and come up with a million excuses why I can't do it).
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I rarely can do cardio after I lift... I can barely move!

db05ubbcpx13.gif