Pre-menstrual bingeing and body dissatisfaction

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    @francl27 have you considered using one of the BC devices that stop you getting your periods? Would they help with your pms?

I tried a pill like that when I was 22 and it totally messed me up, so honestly I'm just terrified of all those hormonal things now!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The TED talk about PMS being a cultural construct is somewhat interesting... I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but is it a case of first world problems? Do we tend to be more aware of it because we don't have to walk 40 miles a day to have access to clean water? Or because we're not dying of cholera? Is it the power of suggestion because Midol advertisements are on television and in magazines?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't cope. I eat the food and cry.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've never,ever had pms symptoms... Until I came here lol No personality changes or crying or anything like that. But now, a day before they come and the first day I am extra hungry. It's like reading all of these posts has played some kind of mind control with me!

It's like "hey, my periods are, i can eat more".
  • FaatSara
    FaatSara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG I am insatiable days before my period. I can't stop eating. So I try to stick to protein packed foods, or just eat healthier foods until I can't anymore. But, usually I give in and eat like a friggen maniac for a couple of days then I eat healthier when that feeling is over. It sucks. It's probably what has me stuck at the same weight.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    The TED talk about PMS being a cultural construct is somewhat interesting... I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but is it a case of first world problems? Do we tend to be more aware of it because we don't have to walk 40 miles a day to have access to clean water? Or because we're not dying of cholera? Is it the power of suggestion because Midol advertisements are on television and in magazines?

It was very interesting, and I intend to go back and watch the video again, but she lost me when she started on midol. Bloating and cramps (midols main marketing) are not cultural constructs. I really did not understand that bit, unless there are other midol ads that I am not seeing. She sounded a whole lot like the stereotypical burn your bra feminist who claims that women's issues are "medicalized" to make money for The Man. Like, she can pry my midol and the csection that allowed a quicker and less infant-stressed birth from my cold dead hands ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I wasn't really aware of it before counting calories either... I just ate if I was hungry, no second thought. I'd guess that women who have to walk 40 miles for water probably don't have to worry about it too much either because their periods must not be very regular, and they don't exactly have the option to raid the junk closet anyway... I'm sure that diet has its parts too.

The cramps must suck though. Heck I still remember my first period when I was 10, I was in so much pain that I threw up several times. I don't think I even knew what periods were at the time, so I have to laugh again at that 'cultural construct' comment.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I get cramps and bloating the first few days and my skin is terrible. The scale goes crazy and I just ate two hashbrowns. Ugh. At least it's not this bad every month and exercise does make the cramps tolerable.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the fact that i need pms pants makes me think it is not a cultural construct.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    the fact that i need pms pants makes me think it is not a cultural construct.

Also find it funny that in other countries there is a thing called menstrual leave. So it isn't just America.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I think it's a fascinating topic. There is a lot of societal pressure on women to put themselves last/not complain and you could argue PMS gives us an 'excuse' to show emotion, vent, eat chocolate and cry without being ostracized. I do get bad cramps but I sometimes wonder how much of it is in my head. I work in a fertility clinic and often the Dr's see women who claim to have terrible periods and/or hormonal issues when in fact what they have is chronic depression.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I think it's a fascinating topic. There is a lot of societal pressure on women to put themselves last/not complain and you could argue PMS gives us an 'excuse' to show emotion, vent, eat chocolate and cry without being ostracized. I do get bad cramps but I sometimes wonder how much of it is in my head. I work in a fertility clinic and often the Dr's see women who claim to have terrible periods and/or hormonal issues when in fact what they have is chronic depression.

I feel like I'm dying. I am in so much pain and so nauseous. I can't regulate my temperature and it effects my IBS. So I'm so miserable the first day of my period. I know that isn't in my head. If it is, then I guess I must hate myself more than anyone else in the world to on purposely imagine that... But I don't use it as an excuse for anything. I go to work even though I want to just be in bed and sleep it out. But nope I don't say a word to anything because society has taught me that it isn't an excuse and I should suck it up and I'm just a weak, fragile girl if I don't.