Stomach bug and food!

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I caught a stomach bug this past weekend pretty badly, most of the major symptoms went away, (i won't go into detail lol) But I still have a very unsettled feeling in my tummy whenever I eat anything at all and it sucks! It makes me not want to eat anything even though I'm hungry, and if I do eat, my stomach takes a couple of hours to feel okay again....Anyone have any ideas on what I could eat to avoid this? Getting that unsettling feeling really kills my mood and makes me not want to do anything at all!

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What all have you tried eating?

I generally go for ginger ale and oyster crackers or some toast with a little butter. Maybe a cup of tea or a brothy soup.

Yogurt might be worth a try? Some folks find dairy upsets their stomachs more; others find it helps a lot.

I would avoid fibrous stuff till you feel more like yourself.

I would also keep food intake low for another day or so and see if more time helps. I find that if I'm miserable for an extended period (a full day or two), I need twice as long before my tummy really wants food again. In your case, that might be up to 4 days after the worst passed.

~Lyssa
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I generally go for ginger ale and oyster crackers or some toast with a little butter. Maybe a cup of tea or a brothy soup.

Yogurt might be worth a try? Some folks find dairy upsets their stomachs more; others find it helps a lot.

I would also keep food intake low for another day or so and see if more time helps. I find that if I'm miserable for an extended period (a full day or two), I need twice as long before my tummy really wants food again. In your case, that might be up to 4 days after the worst passed.

~Lyssa

I've just been eating what I normally eat on the weekends, a mix of fast food and home food, all of it is unsettling though. I may be getting in too much fiber actually that you mention it, I never thought to limit my fiber intake with a stomach bug, but it makes sense. I generally eat less on the weekdays, than the weekends, so I should have a lower food intake compared...I've been getting pretty full ordering/eating what I normally do and haven't finished any of my meals like normally as well because I just can't tolerate it >.< Its only been 2 days now since the worst symptoms have passed, so maybe it will take longer to fully recover as you say :smile:
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Try a peanut butter, mayonnaise, and sardine sandwich dipped in cream of mushroom soup.

exactly, beat me to it.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

I've just been eating what I normally eat on the weekends, a mix of fast food and home food, all of it is unsettling though. I may be getting in too much fiber actually that you mention it, I never thought to limit my fiber intake with a stomach bug, but it makes sense. I generally eat less on the weekdays, than the weekends, so I should have a lower food intake compared...I've been getting pretty full ordering/eating what I normally do and haven't finished any of my meals like normally as well because I just can't tolerate it >.< Its only been 2 days now since the worst symptoms have passed, so maybe it will take longer to fully recover as you say :smile:

I would definitely stick to lower fiber and gradually re-up to whatever your fiber goal is. Maybe aim for, say, 10g tomorrow, 15g the next, etc. Fibrous stuff can be tougher to digest, and your digestive system isn't used to it at the moment!

It often takes me a week or so to want to eat my usual foods again - I generally stick with bland/easily digested stuff until the sick feeling passes, then slowly bring back tougher stuff.

~Lyssa