Gained a pound

Options
I realize that I have just started my diet a week ago today and I'm not expecting to see drastic immediate changes but I stuck very close to a strict low carb no sugar diet with a little cardio and I gained a lb. so frustrating and discouraging

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Get used to it - weight fluctuations are totally normal and will happen again and again. Don't let it get to you. Changes in diet and exercise can cause it, hormones, salt, many things can cause the scale to show a gain. Take your measurements along the way for a truer gauge of progress.

Eat well, exercise, drink water, take rest days, get good sleep. The fat and inches will come off, but have patience, it takes time. :smile:
  • Suprduck
    Suprduck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not weighing yourself for a little while. I saw lots of fluctuations and it does get to you. Pounds are great to see drop but ultimately a healthier you is what you want. Keep doing all the right things and you will get results. It took lots of failed attempts before I realized that I just want to be healthier and just keep at it.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you eating under your TDEE? Are you using a scale to measure your foods?

Also, a new exercise routine can cause water retention in muscles. This is expected and will go away.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    Are you eating under your TDEE? Are you using a scale to measure your foods?

Also, a new exercise routine can cause water retention in muscles. This is expected and will go away.

Well, no, it won't "go away" -- or it shouldn't, if you're doing it right. If you continue to challenge your body by adding weight, time, reps, new exercises, etc., you'll continue to retain water for muscle repair. But it doesn't go on increasing ad infinitum; the amount of water you retain for muscle repair in week 1 of an exercise routine that challenges your muscles will be roughly the same amount that you're retaining in week 10 of a routine that has appropriate progression built into it. Of course, if you from 0 to 60 in the first week, and dial back to 20 in subsequent weeks (or 0, because you injured yourself trying to go from 0 to 60), you'll retain less water for muscle repair.

Anyway, early on, water retention from a new exercise routine (compared to not having exercised or not having engaged in challenging exercise) can mask fat loss when you step on the scale, but eventually continued fat loss will show up on the scale because the weight of the retained water shouldn't be changing much after the first week or so, but it shouldn't "go away" if you're doing it right.