Why do carbs have such a bad rep?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
I hear/see all of this chat about how horrible carbs are and how fats are more beneficial and all these weight loss stories with low carb. My question is, then why do some people function better on high carb? For example, I've tried low carb a few times which resulted in crankiness, tiredness, constipation, underperformance when exercising, and low carb was also the only time I would occasionally go over my calories (never satisfied/full). On high carb though, I perform well when exercising, am not cranky, am "regular", and lost a massive amount of weight. It also keeps my appetite under control. What's weird is when I do research on these eating lifestyles, the claims are exact opposite from my positive experience on carbs. I eat high carb, high protein, low fat. Have lost around 70 pounds. Lift weights, do cardio HIIT and/or yoga every other day, and daily walks. Can anyone else here relate? Do you operate better on carbs as well (along with better fitness results)?

Replies

• hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I exercise and lift 5 times a week, during the day I have sedentary lifestyle. Have been on low carb, high protein lifestyle for over 15 years and no energy issues.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's from the Atkins diet.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential for our bodies and our brains. Our bodies needs carbs. We just need to be careful not to load up on the refined carbs which have little or no food value.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for each of us.
    All things in moderation for me. Worked taking the weight off, and has worked for 30 months on maintenance.
    As bellabonbons says, carbs are essential. We need them.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law was given irradiated glucose and scanned to determine if she had cancer. The cancer showed up as a bright spot on the scan. So this tells me that carbs / sugar is a food for cancer. So with this thinking I do my best limit my carbs to vegetables, protein and a little fruit. The rest of my calories come from fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My mother-in-law was given irradiated glucose and scanned to determine if she had cancer. The cancer showed up as a bright spot on the scan. So this tells me that carbs / sugar is a food for cancer. So with this thinking I do my best limit my carbs to vegetables, protein and a little fruit. The rest of my calories come from fat.

Glucose is the fuel for the body. Whether you eat it in the form of carbs or produce it from fats through gluconeogenesis, it will still be the same fuel. Not eating carbs or limiting carbs doesn't prevent cancer. Genetics will have a much greater impact than anything you will ever eat.

OP, most people just want something to fear/blame and don't understand the science. And for whatever reason, people want to most difficult answer to why they are overweight, rather than the simple answer of eating too much and moving too little.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbs as a quick energy source. There are nothing wrong with eating them. Problem is people group carbs from vegetables and whole grains(which provide fiber and other essential nutrients) with refined carbs (highly processed, high in calorie and low in nutrients). Your body uses refined carbs in the same way as sugar, a really fast energy source. That's why you feel hungry shortly after eating them. While there is nothing wrong with eating them in moderation, making them part of your daily diet can lead you to overeating since you don't feel satiated and that can lead to weight gain.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do about 55% carbs (including a fair amount of SUGAR... gasp!). A carb-focused eating plan keeps me energetic, happy, satisfied, and (yes) FULL. I followed a low-carb plan years ago when I was still doing fad diets, and I've never known such misery and physical discomfort. I stuck with it for about six months until I just couldn't do it anymore. I lost about the same amount of weight I did on other plans with comparable calorie intake, but I felt sluggish, bloated, and had tons of headaches. I never had energy for anything. I know some people say you have a 'carb flu' for a few weeks after you start a low carb plan, but for me it lasted half a year. It just wasn't the right nutritional plan for me. I lost 60 pounds eating 55 carb/15 protein/30 fat (give or take) and have been at goal for over four years now.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Two things:
    -because of the increasing rates type 2 diabetes and obesity.
    -because carbs do tend to have more calories than anything else

I don't think they're bad and I couldn't do a low carb diet. But I do know carb heavy foods like bagels, pasta, etc have more calories and it doesn't always fill people up.

In the end, it's about cals in vs cals out, low carb or not.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Two things:

I don't think they're bad and I couldn't do a low carb diet. But I do know carb heavy foods like bagels, pasta, etc have more calories and it doesn't always fill people up.

Protein and carbohydrates both contain 4 calories per gram, while fat provides 9 calories per gram. Carbs don't have more calories than anything else.

Yeah but I meant it like: a chocolate donut has more calories than say, some fruit, plain vegetables, or a small container of yogurt. And products made with white flour tend to be nutritionally devoid.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Protein and carbohydrates both contain 4 calories per gram, while fat provides 9 calories per gram. Carbs don't have more calories than anything else.

Yeah but I meant it like: a chocolate donut has more calories than say, some fruit, plain vegetables, or a small container of yogurt. And products made with white flour tend to be nutritionally devoid.

Well... the fruit, the veggies, and the yogurt you listed are all mostly carbs, too. The yogurt has some protein, but most yogurts still get most of their calories from carbs. A chocolate donut may not be nutrient packed, but I still think you can have a healthy diet that includes occasional donuts and other foods made from white flour.

But like you said... and I totally agree "In the end, it's about cals in vs cals out, low carb or not." :-)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Two things:

That's actually because the fruit/vegetable contains more water than a baked good. And stuff like donuts tends to get 50% of their calories from fat too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you hear it from. I don't advocate they are bad. I just tell people not to overconsume because it can lead to surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Two things:

Well... the fruit, the veggies, and the yogurt you listed are all mostly carbs, too. The yogurt has some protein, but most yogurts still get most of their calories from carbs. A chocolate donut may not be nutrient packed, but I still think you can have a healthy diet that includes occasional donuts and other foods made from white flour.

But like you said... and I totally agree "In the end, it's about cals in vs cals out, low carb or not." :-)

Oh, I agree you can eat donuts and have moderation. My life would be sad without bagels, pasta, pizza, etc.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Yeah but I meant it like: a chocolate donut has more calories than say, some fruit, plain vegetables, or a small container of yogurt.

But that is becuse the donut has more fat. A KrispyKreme chocolate filled donut has about 400 cals, but has the same carb content as a 170g (large) banana (which is half the cals of the donut).

And products made with white flour tend to be nutritionally devoid.

Isn't true. bread, cake, pasta, pancakes all have nutritional value. Many flours are fortified to add in micro-nutrients but even without - Carbohydrate is nutritionally important.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We are all different and have to find what works for each of us individually. If I had to put a label on my eating habits I guess it would be low carb. I eat plenty of protein and healthy fats and almost all of my carbs come from veggies. I feel great, have plenty of energy for workouts and am losing weight at a sustainable rate.

I find that if I eat breads and cereals or anything sugary I get hungry again very quickly and start getting cravings.

That's just what suits me.....it won't suit everyone and I respect that.

All macros are essential but we should be mindful of the quality and nutritional content of the sources we choose.

You look fantastic OP and I applaud you for sticking to what works for you and all of your hard work.