Can I run everyday?

Options
I cleared it through my doctor but I thought I'd throw it out there. Most of the time, I just feel like I have to do something. Even a short run.

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on the subject but I personally wouldn't run every day. I would think you'd need to give those muscles a rest at least every couple days. I never run 2 days back to back. Could you swap out a run for a bike ride?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Even the people I know that are training for the olympic marathon take 24hrs a week off from running. Your muscles do need time to rest and repair, but you can run as much as you want. Increasing more than 10% a week will be a formula for injury though.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I definately switch it up- run for 2-3 days, then do the eliptical, or swim, or walk. Like above, it is very important to give your muscles and joint as rest as londistance, or too mucht oo soon, can take a big toll.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's always a good idea to have a day or two of rest every week so your body can build up muscle. Also, it's a good idea to vary your workout a little, to get new muscles involved. Otherwise, your body gets used to certain workouts and then they aren't as efficient/effective.

Still, a short run everyday probably wouldn't be bad, especially if your doctor cleared it.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Some people can get away with running everyday, but most of us need a day of rest. Those that run everyday didn't start out running everyday either. They have worked their body up to that point. You can still walk, and do other exercises on that day off of running. Typically I run 4-5 days with varying mileage. My short maintenance run (3miles) to 4-5 mile interval runs and a 6 (soon to be 10) mile long run. Listen to your body, if your sore or hurting any where take that as a sign to rest. :smile: Good luck in your running. It's quite an addicting sport!
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    Do it. Ain't nothing wrong with it. I run/walk every morning.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I cleared it through my doctor but I thought I'd throw it out there. Most of the time, I just feel like I have to do something. Even a short run.

You have to have rest days or you can overtrain and could be prone to injuries, strains, pulls and problems with the achilles tendon. People that run everyday have usually been running for years and years and have eventually built up to it over time.

Start off with two or three times per week and build up really gradually.

If you really feel like you need to do something every day, on the days off running, brisk walks or swimming might be a good idea.
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    I agree with the rest theory. I am not much of a runner, I do run a couple days a week but due to bad ankles, i don't do more than that. However, I have a friend who is a marathon runner and he says every OTHER day. Rest is every bit as important as the exercise itself.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Cardio is safe to do everyday but I would say at least give yourself 1-2 days a week off from running. I run 3-4x/week but it's usually every other day with 2 days back to back.