CICO

Options
I dont understand why people cant lose weight. Its all about CICO (calories in and calories out). You cant defy the laws of thermodynamics. If you eat over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you gain weight period. Its that simple. If you are gaining just figure out your sedetary tdee (basal metabolic rate plus the extra calories you burn from just general moving around over the course of a day) and eat below that level and you will lose weight. Or better yet excercise an hour a day at a level you can tolerate and eat a bit below your sedetary tdee. This is not rocket science! Its just awareness and some addition subtraction. Unless you are literally paralyzed you CAN do this. And "i have a metabolic disorder" is not a great excuse. If you have a disorder that makes you burn 400 less than the average person of your size eat 200 calories less than what that person would have to do for weight loss and excercise 200 extra calories. Once you lose the weight its easier because you dont have to work at a deficit. So dont believe others who say its easy to lose and hard to keep off. They should be saying its easy to lose and easier to keep off.

Replies

• FarihaSajid
    FarihaSajid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    U r soo right..thanx
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Losing and maintaining weight is simple, but not necessarily easy. You can make it easier or harder for yourself. Having realistic expectations, measuring what you think you are measuring, patience, accuracy and consistency, getting enough sleep and rest, makes it easier. Believing it is complicated, and that there exists a secret easy way out, or that you have to suffer to lose weight, is making it a lot harder than it has to be.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I can't understand why people gain weight in the first place. (just kidding, I hit 260 lbs).
    You are ignoring a lot of things in there- yes, the concept is simple. If the formula is followed, there will be success.

There are, however, a LOT of barriers- including mental barriers. Emotional barriers. Habitual barriers. External barriers such as the environment and people we are surrounded by. Etc. You're also assuming a lot about how many people in the world have this knowledge. With so much weight loss bullpucky being thrown around the media and word-of-mouth, it's very confusing to sort out what's true and what isn't, even for the most educated of people.

You're also assuming that everyone naturally has the math, health literacy, and other skills to be able to calculate all of these things, weigh food accurately, schedule and balance a meal schedule, etc. It takes time and effort for some people to develop these skills and look at the big picture, and overcome any barriers that may be present.

I could write a dissertation on the reasons people struggle with weight loss, but to be honest I feel like the main post is just condescending in general, and I'm not entirely sure of what discussion was meant to be had here.
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone can't make a fortune on the stock market.

All you have to do is buy low and sell high...

Except you control CICO it has no equivalency with the stock market