Currently training for 2017 London Marathon

Options
Hi,

I took up running early this year and have absolutely fallen in love with it!

I've signed up to do next year's London Marathon. Just looking for a bit of support and advice really as I'm a complete novice! Would also be great to talk to some people that are also doing the marathon.

Replies

• jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have entered the ballot for the London marathon...not hopeful though.

I will be doing the Brighton Marathon next year (did it this year for the first time) I only started running in Feb 2015 so you're on about the same timescale as I did, definitely doable!

I could try and give you some advice, but if you've fallen in love with it sounds like you may not need any...are there any areas you're struggling?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Pick a reputable plan and follow it: It will guide you through the progression of mileages from where you are to where you need to be. I used the runners world plans.

One of the biggest challenges for running a marathon is avoiding illness and injury during the training. To a large extent the risk of these can be minimised by correct shoes, following a decent plan (see above) but also, in looking after yourself. So, rest and adequate food are important (if you are attempting to lose weight whilst training then keep the deficit very low).

best wishes
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Injury is definitely a big concern of mine! I had been following the 18 week beginners marathon plan from the London Marathon website but I will have a look at the runners world plans.

I'm vegan so I'm also researching what energy gels, drinks etc. I can have during the run.

@jonsmithkidd I entered the ballot but I luckily was offered a guaranteed place with the charity Phab Kids.

The biggest struggle I've got really is that I've not got many people to ask for advice, help or even motivation at the moment :(
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon in 2012. I still run but not nearly as much. Good luck in your training it is a worthy goal!

Be warned I have been plagued by injury ever since the marathon.
  • jonsmithkidd
    Options
    So great that you're planning this far in advance, just doing that you're already putting yourself ahead of the game. With energy gels etc I'm not sure which are suitable for vegans, but I can say what a difference they make in the race. I'd use them sparingly in training where you can, just so you get that maximum benefit on race day.

I got injured about 6 weeks out from my last marathon. I thankfully recovered in time. My injury wasn't training related (cut my toe in the gym) but I also got a stomach bug, which knocked me about a bit.

I would agree with @StealthHealth looking after yourself is priority number one. Get all of the vitamins and nutrients that you need so you're 100% healthy going in to the day.

Have you set up a schedule of 10k/half marathon races to compete in in the lead up to it?

As far as motivation, all I can say is to visualise the race itself, think about how you will feel when you cross that finish line. When you get there and realise you've done something that very few people achieve, and you've actually run 26.2 miles, I can't describe how good it feels (but you'll find out)

One thing that massively helped me when I got to longer training runs (10 miles +) was to listen to audiobooks as I went. Music would only keep me sane for so long, beyond that I felt like I needed something to engage my mind.

Have you got people you run with, or do you train alone?
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Haven't scheduled any races prior just yet! Wasn't sure if it would be helpful or just pull my focus from the marathon.

I don't have anyone to train with, would love to have a running buddy though! I've started listening to podcasts instead of music but I will definitely look into audiobooks!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Some races along the way is a great tactic. You learn a lot by taking part in races (nutrition, hydration, what kit to take, and things like where to stand at the starting line) and training plans will often include a few 5k, 10k and half mara races.
  • jonsmithkidd
    Options
    I use Audible, £7.99 a month but you get a new audiobook every month, and you can pick anything from their catalogue, even titles that would be a lot more.

I would look at some races if you can, it should help. Maybe have a look for running groups on these forums, arrange to meet people at the events? Or is there a local running club you can join?

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Definitely start working on a base and don't miss training runs when it's time, esp the long runs! They are so important. I trained for my first marathon during my wedding planning and missed quite a few runs. in the end, I was not very prepared, and had a pretty horrible time.

have fun! running is so addicting!