so i got myself a pair of vibram fivefingers...

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Love mine.

Hate running in my other shoes. Seriously. Love them.

But to transition slowly... you'll feel muscles working that weren't before- and get sore- PLUS you have to learn how to stride differently. It took me about a 1-2 weeks (I'm a dancer though so I spend a LOT of time on my toes in releve' which I think helped)... expect i'd say a 2-3 week transition period.

Happy running!!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I read that too fast and thought it was a type of vibrater.
    ha ha
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Understanding the biomechanics and identifying your running style may make your conversion less prone to possible injury

Biomechanical Differences Between Different Foot Strikes
    & Applications to Running Barefoot or in Minimal Footwear
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

I absolutely second this. I've always spent a lot of time barefoot anyway, but when I made the transition to minimal/barefoot running I did a lot of research including watching tons of videos of barefoot form.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my tri coach wrote a very thorough review on how to condition yourself to running in them.

http://racedaycoaching.com/?p=189
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ... and they are probably the most comfortable shoes ever to putter around the house in.....

Wait, they are shoes?!?

/leaving this thread now

I KNOW, right?? I really did not think of shoes when I read the title...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would listen to the guy. I've heard this advice (increase your mileage in minimalist shoes very, very slowly) from other reputable sources, and it seems sensible.

Keep in mind also that running in minimalist shoes is not entirely like barefoot running, so it's not clear it offers the same benefits:

http://bjsportmed.com/content/47/6/387.abstract
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I tried a pair on once and I wanted to rip them off my feet the second I stood up in them. Most uncomfortable things I had ever put on my feet. It was all because of the toe section.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and had to buy socks to wear with them because I got blisters on my big toes. I haven't used them in a long time. I am a mid foot/ball striker when I run and found that it really bothered my feet to do that and I am now wondering if the few times I did wear them running is what has contributed to my recent foot problem that has made me stop running :grumble: .

I do like them however. I think they are really comfortable and they make really good boat/water shoes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and had to buy socks to wear with them because I got blisters on my big toes. I haven't used them in a long time. I am a mid foot/ball striker when I run and found that it really bothered my feet to do that and I am now wondering if the few times I did wear them running is what has contributed to my recent foot problem that has made me stop running :grumble: .

I do like them however. I think they are really comfortable and they make really good boat/water shoes.

I have two pairs- and all but ruined my first pair wearing no socks. They stunk SO bad- I would put them on for minutes seconds even and my feet would smell for the rest of the day.

The socks took one time of adjusting- and then I got used to them- now I can't wear them without them. amazaballs.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP if you really want to end up running in those, put them on, go out of your front door, run for two and a half minutes down the street, turn around and return home, go indoors and then change into your normal trainers and go out for your run.

That way you do not have to carry your normal shoes out with you when running.

You will only have to do this until you can run the whole distance in them.

I presume you have to run five minutes extra each time you go out in

I'm with this. Run very short periods of time, you may not be able to run on consecutive days in them for a while also.

I'll third this advice... after training for and running my marathon in minamilist shoes, I was overconfident about the transition to my Vibrams. After running four or five 3-4 milers in the span of a couple/few weeks, I headed out the door on a hilly 7 miler. I felt the first twinge in my Achilles (with which I've never had any issue whatsoever) about halfway in; was OK to run all the way back home, though I was definitely feeling it. After attempting to ice my Achilles immediately following the run, it completely seized up and I couldn't walk properly (much less run) for an easy three weeks... ended up being completely sidelined from running for six weeks.

I totally don't blame the shoes; I blame myself for my hubris! I have yet to give them another go, so am instead running in my minimalist (3 mm heel to toe) shoes for now. At some point, I'll ease my way back into them, since they were super comfortable when they weren't screwing up my Achilles!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    OP if you really want to end up running in those, put them on, go out of your front door, run for two and a half minutes down the street, turn around and return home, go indoors and then change into your normal trainers and go out for your run.

I'm with this. Run very short periods of time, you may not be able to run on consecutive days in them for a while also.

I'll third this advice... after training for and running my marathon in minamilist shoes, I was overconfident about the transition to my Vibrams. After running four or five 3-4 milers in the span of a couple/few weeks, I headed out the door on a hilly 7 miler. I felt the first twinge in my Achilles (with which I've never had any issue whatsoever) about halfway in; was OK to run all the way back home, though I was definitely feeling it. After attempting to ice my Achilles immediately following the run, it completely seized up and I couldn't walk properly (much less run) for an easy three weeks... ended up being completely sidelined from running for six weeks.

I totally don't blame the shoes; I blame myself for my hubris! I have yet to give them another go, so am instead running in my minimalist (3 mm heel to toe) shoes for now. At some point, I'll ease my way back into them, since they were super comfortable when they weren't screwing up my Achilles!

Ouch Bert! :cry:

I know you know exactly what you are doing, but I really feel like I want to say to you, forget the Vibrams, stick to what was working for you, it's just not worth it with that injury messing up your training schedule.

I sincerely hope it heals as quickly as possible
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Ouch Bert! :cry:

I know you know exactly what you are doing, but I really feel like I want to say to you, forget the Vibrams, stick to what was working for you, it's just not worth it with that injury messing up your training schedule.

I sincerely hope it heals as quickly as possible

Thanks, Di! Fortunately, this was several months ago, so I'm totally recovered and back in action. And, per your suggestion, I'm probably going to avoid them until after my upcoming races... there's no way I want to throw my training away just to run in my fancy ugly shoes! So they'll be in the closet until early next year if I stick with my plan to run another full in December.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    xkcd_individual_toe_shoes_immortality.png?mtime=1338987403
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love them. When i reached one of my heaviest weights i got them to help my knee and back issues... and they largely did, it cut the pain massively (likely because I was walking with a bad gait and you do walk differently in them... more like barefoot.) Now that I'm down 60lbs or so from my high I've kept wearing them and I'll end up doing c25k in them as well. I don't think your plan of doing the c25k in them is bad, especially if you've been wearing them around elsewhere walking normally and such for a while. Just remember... stop if it hurts.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am new to running (and unable to run right now due to surgery) but when I run on my treadmill I prefer being barefoot or having just socks on. I recently bought a pair of running shoes to jog to the gym and had to take them back because they were hurting me all over (toes and backs of my heels). I ended up getting a different pair which I was able to test out shortly before my surgery, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try out the vibrams when I'm able to get back to running, since I run without shoes on my treadmill. Or is there a difference between treadmill running and running outdoors?
  • shadus
    Options
    I am new to running (and unable to run right now due to surgery) but when I run on my treadmill I prefer being barefoot or having just socks on. I recently bought a pair of running shoes to jog to the gym and had to take them back because they were hurting me all over (toes and backs of my heels). I ended up getting a different pair which I was able to test out shortly before my surgery, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try out the vibrams when I'm able to get back to running, since I run without shoes on my treadmill. Or is there a difference between treadmill running and running outdoors?

I'll be entirely honest, they're the uglist, most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. It's like being barefoot without the rocks and pine needles violating your feet when you step on them wrong. When the wind blows you can even feel air between your toes if you get one of the lighter pairs.

I own... http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-BikilaLS-Mens.htm
    the so has: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-BikilaLS-Womens.htm

Highly recommend them if you've gotten used to running barefoot... wouldn't be a difficult transition...

All that said, there IS a significant difference between even a treadmill on an incline and running outside on the flat... outside there are slews of minor slants, angles, etc... those require your bodies stabilizer muscles to keep you balanced, a treadmill doesn't have those so any outdoor running you do at first is going to be notably more difficult than indoor.

Edit: I'm desperately hoping mine can survive another month or two before I need to replace them, I'd like to replace them once I'm at a lower weight so as I continue to lose they don't get too loose.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How twistedly appealing. Seeing as how I'm nearly always barefoot (I have no shoes on right now), as soon as I walk in my door I take my shoes off (sometimes I'm outside without shoes too, don't tell hubby, it freaks him out. lol) and my guests behind me will start to take off their shoes too, like they think we don't wear shoes in the house! lol Too bad they're so ugly, but maybe their personality will make up for that. ;)

Thanks for the info
  • shadus
    Options
    I don't mind the look anymore... and the more "shoe like" they become the less strange they look, but you WILL become the "weird toe shoe" person if you have them.

I haven't been out to the store, restaurant, or anywhere that takes more than 45m where someone doesn't ask me what my opinion on them is, if they're comfortable, how much I paid, if I'd recommend them, or how they'd like to try them but don't care for the look.... in 2 years. Seriously. That's the mixed bag side effect of them. On the bright side, you get to talk to a lot of people... on the down side, sometimes you just don't wanna deal with anyone.

I have a friend with the KSO http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Womens.htm <- those... and not to many people notice them on her. They assume they're tennis shoes of some variety.

Vibram also makes other types of shoes, the 'fivefingers' are just the toe shoes.