Need a probiotic for digestive health.

Options
2»

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Porridge is cooked down more and also has more water content.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    I'm not fully up on probiotic research so open to correction. It seems silly to have probiotics yet not feed those already in your gut, so for this I have porridge everyday. It's also good for my reflux so might help IBS. That said I do drink water kefir but mainly cos I like the taste and watching it grow.

I'm curious, how does porridge help? :smile:

I'll hazard a reply. The existing flora in the stomach need to be fed. So why not porridge?

I feed my bread yeast flour, after all, and it multiplies happily in a few hours.

I was wondering what specifically is in porridge that feeds the gut bacteria, or maybe that's not what he meant??
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It was. I can search around for the study but can't remember off the top of my head. It helps with my reflux so much that if it doesn't help feed my tummy wrigglers I'm still happy.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have crohns and its kind of an opposite type. I actually get backed up for weeks and taking fiber causes direstress. Probiotics help things calm down. I take megafoods probiotics... i also drink kefir, eat yogurt, and fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut. I find that its most beneficial when i add a veriety. the body gets used to things easy.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    You might also want to look into digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid supplementation. The BRAT diet flared up your IBS? If so, I'm not really sure how just a probiotic would solve your problem. You need to figure how to get your body to digest these simple foods. If I'm not mistaken the majority of our gut bacteria resides in the lower intestine. So if you eat something and immediately have digestive trouble, wouldn't that point to a lack of stomach acid or enzyme production before the gut flora comes into play? I feel like all these things roll together anyway so just something to check off the list. Bring it up with your gastro.

I think the OP meant she? he? would need to be on the BRAT diet to keep her/his digestive issues settled.

OP, I take 3 different probiotics these days. Saccharomyces boulardii, Culturelle chewable (cuz I'm really tired of swallowing pills), and a version of Digestive Advantage for gas. I'm not sure that one's helping. :) All I really know is, I was taking all three the last time I was on antibiotics and I made it through scot free when the time before that, sans probiotics, I ended up with C diff.
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @glassyo Yes, It was suggested to be on the BRAT diet but I'd like to avoid that if possible so I can have my veggies and other foods instead of white toast and rice. These are all great suggestions and I think I'm going to try combining a bunch of these ideas to see if it helps!!
  • acmorris77
    Options
    I tried the Renew Life Ultimate flora and it's changed my life this past week! Thanks!
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use the Renew Life 200billion fridge sticks bc I suffer from other things as well (beyond IBS) and once my body is 'righted' all I have to do is take a stick every so often for maintenance. I don't rightly care if people think its bunk bc when you are in pain and suffering and something works for you? Go with it!
    Glad you found it!
  • acmorris77
    Options
    @Olycapitalch...
    Where can I find those? I have been taking the 30 Billion capsules once a day. But, if I can take something less than that, i'll try it!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i use vitacost brand probiotics - Vitacost Probiotic 10-20 10 Strains -- 20 billion CFU
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    @Olycapitalch...
    Where can I find those? I have been taking the 30 Billion capsules once a day. But, if I can take something less than that, i'll try it!
    I go to super supplements and vita shoppe and you can get online. It is supposed to be for a 7day stint but it is the only thing that worked for me - besides medication from the doctor but even that didn't always work.

• juliaky84
    juliaky84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I also suggest Renew Life probiotics. I have had life long bowel problems and the colon care 80 billion count from Renew Life has been immensely helpful. The 5 billion count did nothing for me.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take Garden of Life's Dr. formulated Women's Once Daily. I like it because it can actually stay on the shelf due to it's special moisture-blocking bottle. It also seems to work with my digestive system really well, even compared to the other probiotics from them. It's entirely gluten, dairy, and soy-free, so it's really hypoallergenic (lots of probiotics culture in dairy, which can be a problem for some extremely sensitive individuals). It also includes some resistant potato starch in it, which kind of gives the probiotics a good "breeding ground", so to speak so that they can establish in your digestive tract more effectively. It's also pretty potent considering that you only have to swallow one capsule a day; 14 cultures and 50 billion CFU.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    Sorry, all those probiotics don't seem to be doing anything at all. First of all, cheap probiotics gets destroyed by the stomach acid. Secondly, if you buy stomach resistant capsules then it's very likely that the bacteria inside are already dead and useless (best before only lists when the ingredients start to rot, not when the bacteria die) and if you're lucky to get something that survives the dosage is far too low to have any effect. You'd need a massive amount of gut bacteria, and not a tiny capsule full. The only thing that really seems to work are stool transplants. The rest is just woo.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've heard many gastroenterologists recommend a refrigerated one called VSL-3 I think. Specifically for people with IBS/Crohn's. Available at Costco (ask the pharmacist) and Amazon, and I'm sure other places too. It's supposed to be a bit of a miracle worker for IBS, but I don't have any personal experience so I can't say for sure.
  • juliaky84
    juliaky84 Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mine definitely improved my symptoms.