Career Decision time........

Options
JoJo_fat2fab
JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
Hello everyone..

I already have a degree in Medical Administration but I am going back to college and I cannot make up my mind between Public Health and Human Services..

Can I get some input from people in both of these fields.
Also, anyone can give their opinion no matter what their field is.
Which would you choose and why..

Replies

• JoJo_fat2fab
    Options
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am an admin for a department that has both. The public health employees have strengths in training other professionals, presenting information to public audiences and explaining policy. The human services employees are better with one on one client services and family assistance.

Go with the one you enjoy more. If you aren't sure, see if you can shadow someone in the field.

I have one person who hired in as a client services position but quickly realized that her strength lay in professional training. Luckily she was able to transition over. Sometimes you don't know until you are "in the trenches".

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Do your research on how much it is going to cost you vs how much more money you will earn in your new job. The decision on what you do with your life shouldn't all be about money, but you'd be foolish not to know what you're getting into.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I work for DPBH as a mental health Epidemiologist/Biostatistician. I agree with what Lucy1771 said. I'd personally go for the MPH, but it all depends on whether you are looking to be more behind the scenes and act as an analyst/resource for the executives, or actually work more with the share holders on a one-on-one level.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Do you have to get a second degree to go into this field? You don't want to be like me and be swimming in student loan debt bc you wanted a masters or second degree that you don't need. Most of the time and BA/BS, experience, and certifications work.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I would actually go into something medically related. Physical/occupational therapists are desperately needed and there are so many openings.

Where I live there is such an incredible need for speech/language therapists that there's like a 3 month waiting list to see one.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    Options
    Thanks
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am a licensed clinical social worker in NYC. Ask me any questions you might have. I own my own business as a Psychotherapist and I love it. I used to do more work with kids, but have moved away from that and work more with adults now. I believe being a therapist or social worker (mental health person or in human services) takes a certain personality type. It takes years to learn skills and it is emotionally draining at times but very well worth it!
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    Options
    I am a licensed clinical social worker in NYC. Ask me any questions you might have. I own my own business as a Psychotherapist and I love it. I used to do more work with kids, but have moved away from that and work more with adults now. I believe being a therapist or social worker (mental health person or in human services) takes a certain personality type. It takes years to learn skills and it is emotionally draining at times but very well worth it!

Hi, I tried sending you a private message but it doesn't work....
    So, yes..
    I have an associates in Medical administration and I'm enrolling back for my bachelors. I like public health and human services. I have looked into Job Outlook, the future for both careers. I just can't make up my mind.