Picky Eater - Pescetarian/Vegetarianish

Hi there,

I just joined MFP to help aid in losing 60-80lbs.

I'm a fairly picky eater. I don't eat meat, with the exception of SOME fish (mainly white, mild fish and shrimp). I don't do dairy so much, but I'm fine with greek yogurt. I also don't eat eggs, unless they're in something.

With that said, I never really learned how to properly eat as a vegetarian. I relied on crap food - pizza, pasta, fries, canned soups, etc. At 30, I'm really seeing a change. I'm gaining weight quicker and I'm tired all the time. I need to step it up!

Are there any other vegans/vegetarians/pescetarians who wouldn't mind sharing their food diary with me? I'd like to get ideas for meals as well as have some new friends. :smile:

* I did notice that the foods that give me the most protein (beans, lentils) also have a ton of carbs. Is that something I should be worried about? *

Thank you,
Amanda

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Vegans (and some lacto-ovo vegetarians) tend to eat more carbohydrates because many of our protein sources also have higher carbohydrates. This isn't anything to worry about -- weight gain is caused by extra calories, not extra carbohydrates (assuming you don't have a medical issue that gives you a reason to limit carbohydrates, of course).

I would say my diet is about 50-60% carbohydrate on an average day -- this reflects the fact that much of my protein comes from grains, vegetables, and beans (I also eat tofu, tempeh, and seitan).
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Vegans (and some lacto-ovo vegetarians) tend to eat more carbohydrates because many of our protein sources also have higher carbohydrates. This isn't anything to worry about -- weight gain is caused by extra calories, not extra carbohydrates (assuming you don't have a medical issue that gives you a reason to limit carbohydrates, of course).

I would say my diet is about 50-60% carbohydrate on an average day -- this reflects the fact that much of my protein comes from grains, vegetables, and beans (I also eat tofu, tempeh, and seitan).

I agree. Feel free to look through my diary to get any ideas.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Some lower-carb sources of protein are tofu or soy milk, seitan (even though it's made of gluten!), some protein powders, nutritional yeast (also a good source of B vitamins) or seeds/nuts/nut butters. I might make a shake with soymilk, chia seeds, protein powder, and fruit, or sometimes I make scrambled tofu with nutritional yeast and veggies. However, when I first started keeping track of my food, I found that I was getting far more carbs from things like white rice, bread, potatoes, etc. than I was from my major sources of protein.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    I avoid those same foods as you but I'm not a "picky" eater (if you meant picky by not liking certain foods). My choices are more about ethical reasons and for health. I eat a plant based diet with no meat, the occasional fish, next to no dairy and eggs rarely in baking. I cook and prepare pretty much everything from scratch except for veggie burgers and some seitan. My carbs are always between 55 and 65%. It's all the veggies, fruit and beans. If you want you can add me - my diary is open. It would be helpful if your diary was open too.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    I was a non-dairy pescatarian until I met my husband. I don't worry about unprocessed carbs (potato, lentils, beans, vegetables, fruit)- if it grows on a tree or comes from the ground, I eat it freely (within my calorie allotment). I try to keep processed carbs like bread and pasta to 2 servings a day (perhaps a piece of toast at breakfast and pasta with vegetables at dinner).
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2016
    Don't worry about carbs, just don't go overboard with calories and try to reach your macros and micros!
    I love making stir fry, adding seitan if I want more proteins, rice with beans, pasta salads, stuffed peppers with cous cous... you can find really a lot of recipes! I've been eating pescatarian, eggs and dairy for a month but I decided to go vegan now, or at least avoid eggs and dairy as much as possibile, so feel free to add me.
    I'm from Italy so you could need to translate some stuff, but it could also be a good chance to try some new recipes!
  • nilojewelry
    nilojewelry Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all! This was a huge help.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    I'm a vegetarian who also skips the eggs and eats just a little dairy, and I've managed to still lose 125 pounds. That's why you can't always assume you have to cut carbs to loose weight. You cut calories, overall.

I eat plenty of beans and lentils, along with a whole host of fruits and vegs. I do add protein powder to some dishes (oatmeals, smoothies) or have a post-workout protein drink or bar.

Budgetbytes.com is a great site for easy veggie recipes or recipes you can make veggie. Some of my favorite meals are ratatouille, vegetarian lasagna, Santa Fe rice and beans, 3 bean mac and cheese, spinach and white bean soup, penne pasta in tomato pesto, and a whole array of salads. My carb count is always pretty high, but with a 125 pound loss, who cares???
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I suggest getting a book about vegetarianism such as "Becoming Vegetarian". It tells you alot about nutrients for vegetarians.

Additionally, beans should be your best bud! They have protein, fiber and vitamins! Carbs aren't bad if they are packed with nutrients. It's the empty carbs like cookies and cakes, chips ect that you should worry about.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Cod and tuna are great and not too 'fishy' quorn is good too
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    As was already stated, unless you have a medical reason, don't worry about high carbs while trying to lose weight. If you want the carbs, have the carbs. They won't inhibit weight lose by themselves. Too many calories is what does that. I've lost 87 lbs and my diet is 50-60% carbs.