question about PHUL

Options
hcdo
hcdo Posts: 201 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started PHUL a couple of weeks ago and really like it (was doing my own thing before but wanted a little more direction). My question is, can I substitute different exercises/equipment if need be? For example, if I'm supposed to do squats but the barbells are all in use, can I do goblet squats instead with a dumbbell? I'm assuming it's not ideal, but I can only go to the gym at peak time, so I have to improvise when a lot of the equipment's in use.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about that specific program so I'll let others more experienced answer that part, but I do goblet squats all the time. I like them and I'm really progressing, however, now I'm getting to a weight that is too heavy for me to get into position in my hands without risking an injury so I'm thinking I'm going to need to move on to squatting with the bar soon. Just something to note. So, I'd say start with goblet squats if that's what you have available but know that you may need to move on soon.
  • hcdo
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I know nothing about that specific program so I'll let others more experienced answer that part, but I do goblet squats all the time. I like them and I'm really progressing, however, now I'm getting to a weight that is too heavy for me to get into position in my hands without risking an injury so I'm thinking I'm going to need to move on to squatting with the bar soon. Just something to note. So, I'd say start with goblet squats if that's what you have available but know that you may need to move on soon.

Thank you!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Yeah, I would think if you're substituting for the power cycle of the program, you may have trouble getting to a heavy enough weight. Hypertrophy is probably doable.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am running the same program, on week two myself. I have been trying to get to the gym before the rush in order to dodge this same issue and have been successful so far.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I think when you are doing a program any time you substitute a different movement, you are changing the program. You can surely do anything you want in the gym, take any program and modify it all up. But the programs are designed a certain way, and you will not be doing PHUL if you start changing movements, you will be doing some modified version of PHUL and not PHUL. Goblet squats are not barbell back squats. Goblet squats are a great exercise, but they are not the back squats.
  • hcdo
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Yeah, I would think if you're substituting for the power cycle of the program, you may have trouble getting to a heavy enough weight. Hypertrophy is probably doable.

Yeah, I kinda figured that, unfortunately. I'm not as worried about my hypertrophy days as I am my power days. I'll just have to see if I can somehow adjust my schedule a bit.
  • hcdo
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I think when you are doing a program any time you substitute a different movement, you are changing the program. You can surely do anything you want in the gym, take any program and modify it all up. But the programs are designed a certain way, and you will not be doing PHUL if you start changing movements, you will be doing some modified version of PHUL and not PHUL. Goblet squats are not barbell back squats. Goblet squats are a great exercise, but they are not the back squats.

Good point, thanks. I'll either have to finagle my schedule or deal with the fact that it's a modified program I'm doing and I might not get quite the results I'm looking for.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    PHUL is supposed to be a template, not an absolutely followed to a T program. Substituting is fine. Just be mindful of what exercises you pick.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it: if you consistently have trouble getting on a power/squat rack, it might be time to look for a new gym.