Frustration - this is where i feel like giving up

Options
I've had a cold for 2 weeks and, accordingly, I've not been going to the gym, not been doing anything more intense than a walk from the station to my office. This happens and I'm sure that I'll return to the gym again when I'm breathing easy.

But the thing that makes me lose my mind is the scales. I stepped on those dreaded tools of accountability as a matter of curiosity (since its not my regular weigh in day), expecting a gain, I was delighted to see a weigh loss of nearly 2 kgs over the period of my illness.

"Where's the downside?" I hear you ask. The town side is that, at the same time as this satisfactory loss I've had to take my belt out a notch and 2 of my slimmer cut work shirts cannot be worn on account of the strain my belly places on the lower buttons.

How the [long string of frustrated expletives] is that possible? I don't understand. It makes we want to scream another long string of expletives and drown my frustrations in a tub of double choc ice cream with choc mint topping, a giant swirl of whipped cream and eaten with a chocolate spoon.

Any explanations or words of encouragement would be appreciated, and may prevent my lapsing into a sugar coma....

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The body is weird.

I have no idea why you lost weight but are not fitting into some of your clothes. It could be the 2 kg was water weight and your size increase is from your immune system doing its job. All I can suggest is to stick with it and be patient which doesn't help much. I've been there.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    You could have gained water weight, or lost muscle and replaced it with fat, which takes up more room. Don't pay so much attention to the scale and try to get back on track.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt really be too surprised at the weight loss. Our bodies have to work much harder when we're unwell as not only are you doing day to say activity but you've got an internal battle raging against whatever nasty is making you feel rubbish.
    I can't really explain why you would have had a loss but gained round the waist. Perhaps you have lost a little muscle tone without the gymning?
    Don't worry too much about the scales, get feeling better and then crack back on, you'll get there!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You may be bloated for some reason, carrying extra water weight.

My words of wisdom would be - weight loss is a long term proposition. It is not a straight line, there are some weeks you will see the direct results of your hard work and other weeks you will feel like someone is playing a joke on you. But if you know you are doing the right things - sticking to your eating plan, hitting your calories, getting in your exercise, getting back on track when you fall off course, practicing all those good habits that will serve you well for a lifetime - then you need to keep your eye on the long term goal, not the short term roller-coaster ride.

Hang in there!