Being too loud while dead lifting?

Options
Ensmardj
Ensmardj Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I had an issue today at my gym because I was “smashing” the weights while I was dead lifting. I just want a little feedback from you guys because I felt like I wasn't being that loud to be honest. I was dead lifting 245 lbs which I know is not that much but for me is a PR, when this girl walked to me and told me that I can't “smash” the weights like that in the gym because I was disturbing her birds (I don't know wtf she was referring too). I was filming my self while I was doing it because I don't have a workout partner, so I check I'm not rounding my back or *kitten* up my form this way. The weights weren't bouncing at all, and I was just letting the bar go (I wasn't actually dropping the bar, just trying not to hold it as it goes down) as you are supposed in the negative part of the lift. I was grunting a little bit, but nothing too loud. Just a Small grunt when I was locking my lift. I want to know if any of you guys have had this problem before, and how you deal with it. Also, I want to know if there is a gym around Hartford, CT where this kind of problem do not happen because I want to get bigger and stronger, and I don't want to have people around bothering me while I try to progress. It just doesn't feel right to be thinking about not making too much noise to be honest... It's a gym after all, isn't it?

Thanks you

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How far above the ground were you dropping the bar? Personally, I lower it all the way to the floor. I find the negatives to be helpful to the exercise. Sometimes I even pause the motion halfway down and simply hold it there.... it helps me to identify weak spots in my form.

*edited because grammar and spelling is hard
  • Ensmardj
    Options
    How far above the ground were you dropping the bar? Personally, I lower it all the way to the floor. I find the negatives to be helpful to the exercise. Sometimes I even pause to motion halfway down and simply hold it there.... it helps me to identify weak spots in my form.

My bad, I didn't explain it very well. I didn't drop the bar, I hold it until it touched the ground on every rep. When I say that (I let it go) I was referring that I wasn't trying to hold it because I don't want to snap something in my lower back.
  • Ensmardj
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Even when I'm doing a 1RM, I don't let go of the bar unless my grip fails me. If I'm doing reps, it's touch and go, controlled throughout the movement.

My bad, I didn't explain it very well. I didn't drop the bar, I hold it until it touched the ground on every rep. When I say that (I let it go) I was referring that I wasn't trying to hold it because I don't want to snap something in my lower back.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Even when I'm doing a 1RM, I don't let go of the bar unless my grip fails me. If I'm doing reps, it's touch and go, controlled throughout the movement.

Most the people smashing weights do so at the expense of proper form and instability. Drop the weight down to controlled lifts and you won't have to drop the weights. However, I assume since you were filming it was for the social media effect...all the Internet fitness stars do it. Drives me nuts how inefficient they are.
  • Ensmardj
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Most the people smashing weights do so at the expense of proper form and instability. Drop the weight down to controlled lifts and you won't have to drop the weights. However, I assume since you were filming it was for the social media effect...all the Internet fitness stars do it. Drives me nuts how inefficient they are.

Yes, I didn't explain my self properly on that point. What I meant to say is that I wasn't trying to hold the bar, but I didn't actually drop the bar. I always hold it neat and tidy until it touches the ground on every rep.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

...all the Internet fitness stars do it.

But if you don't film EVERY workout, does it really happen?

I am not judging. I don't think I drink a beer without it going on IG. :p
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Can you share your form video so people can give you pointers on where your form might be breaking down? Or at least see what you are referring to?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont drop the weights, but i also wouldn't care if anyone had an issue with any sounds i make in the gym.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around "disturbing her birds" ?!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Deadlifts with any amount of weight make a lot of noise. Period.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around "disturbing her birds" ?!

Me too. I think she was just a freak.

I grunted, hissed, and accidentally spit while I deadlifted today. It was really cute I'm sure and no one gave AF.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Can you share your form video so people can give you pointers on where your form might be breaking down? Or at least see what you are referring to?

+1. You have video evidence, post the video evidence and we can objectively tell you if she had a point or not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ensmardj wrote: »
    I had an issue today at my gym because I was “smashing” the weights while I was dead lifting. I just want a little feedback from you guys because I felt like I wasn't being that loud to be honest. I was dead lifting 245 lbs which I know is not that much but for me is a PR, when this girl walked to me and told me that I can't “smash” the weights like that in the gym because I was disturbing her birds (I don't know wtf she was referring too). I was filming my self while I was doing it because I don't have a workout partner, so I check I'm not rounding my back or *kitten* up my form this way. The weights weren't bouncing at all, and I was just letting the bar go (I wasn't actually dropping the bar, just trying not to hold it as it goes down) as you are supposed in the negative part of the lift. I was grunting a little bit, but nothing too loud. Just a Small grunt when I was locking my lift. I want to know if any of you guys have had this problem before, and how you deal with it. Also, I want to know if there is a gym around Hartford, CT where this kind of problem do not happen because I want to get bigger and stronger, and I don't want to have people around bothering me while I try to progress. It just doesn't feel right to be thinking about not making too much noise to be honest... It's a gym after all, isn't it?

Thanks you

Meh, tell her your grip slipped and to go feed her birds.

Anyway, sounds like a commercial gym... Find a more hardcore/athletic based one.
  • Ensmardj
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I'd like to know we're they bumper weights? And you should have told that woman when she told you about her birds that she's disturbing your workout

No, they weren't. And the woman is from the gym staff so I didn't want to get kicked out or anything...
  • Ensmardj
    Options
    As the weights get heavier, a little sound and grunting is inevitable. But don't hold yourself back because if you control your grunts, you may find it difficult to lift and cause injury to yourself. Do you want to comply with an imbecile or do you want to not cause yourself any injury.

However, some jocks drop the whole barbell on the ground as a show of cockdom and that is totally not cool and is lame. Don't do that, of that is what it is. Then she is definitely right.

Yeah, I was mostly trying not to injure myself since it was a PR for me. The problem is that the girl is from the gym staff, and I didn't want to get kicked out or anything like that.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Ensmardj wrote: »

I know you're question has already been answered, but I'm so confused and really want to understand. At what point are you letting it go? Or are you saying that you're not letting go of it but also not resisting the weight when lowering it such that it's essentially a semi-controlled drop? I'm not trying to be dense or obnoxious! Just trying to picture it!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have witnessed a few idiots purposely dropping weights again and again, when it is meaningless, most as a "look at how mean and strong I am" signal. I mean, if you keep dropping dumbbells 10 times during bicep curls, you are either doing it to grab attention, or you really are clueless, that type of thing. So maybe this was what this person thought you were doing? Especially if she only heard you and did not see you?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Was this PF? :laugh: