Sore ankle when running

Options
mbanks123
mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
I've not done anything that could injure it.

It started yesterday morning after a few minutes into my first run since last Monday. It's only a little sore but I'm worried running on it may make it worse.

My ankle feels weak and I think it's above the ankle bone. I feel it a little when I walk but it doesn't seem to affect things like cycling. It might be only when a lot of pressure is put on it.

I can only think to wait it out but how long do I wait and is there anything I can do to prevent It happening again.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Rest for a few days, e.g. 3-4 days. If it does not go away or it returns at your next run, time to see a dr.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do in the meantime is to tape it up. I don't know if you've seen that bright colored tape that athletes use now. I bought some and use it when I have the problem you're describing. It worked well. You can use it for any pulled or sore muscles. It gives alot of support if used properly. I've been watching people at the pool that use it to see how they put it on. It's also water resistant. My 86 yr old mother saw me using it at the beach last summer and she used it on her knee. Works great.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ice it. Even if it doesn't feel like it's helping at the time, usually does speed recovery.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Also ice it several times a day for about 20 mins at a time. Ibuprofen may help also. Sounds like you tweaked it. If it doesn't get better go see a doctor.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do in the meantime is to tape it up. I don't know if you've seen that bright colored tape that athletes use now. I bought some and use it when I have the problem you're describing. It worked well. You can use it for any pulled or sore muscles. It gives alot of support if used properly. I've been watching people at the pool that use it to see how they put it on. It's also water resistant. My 86 yr old mother saw me using it at the beach last summer and she used it on her knee. Works great.

I second this. KT Tape is amazing. And they have videos for pretty much any sort of issue on their website/YouTube page.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    RICE for injuries: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Depending on the severity (or lack thereof) you might not need to do all of them. Definitely rest & ice (within 48hrs of injury).

How are your shoes? Are they old? Are they made for running? If you're serious about running, I would suggest going to a running specialty store & having them fit you for shoes. At the very least your shoes should be fairly new (6mo-1yr old, depending on how much you wear them) and specificly designed for running.

If the pain doesn't go away after a few days of rest, I'd suggest going to a Dr if you don't have experience dealing with joint injuries. Think about getting a good ankle brace to use while running for a while also.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I second this. KT Tape is amazing. And they have videos for pretty much any sort of issue on their website/YouTube page.

I third this.
    Every time I start a running routine, my left ankle acts up. It's definitely my body's weak spot so I have to be really careful with it. KT Tape has been really helpful for me. And this post reminds me that I really should buy more!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Imbalance? I might work on unilateral movements. Maybe elevated glute marches and pistol squats can help with weaknesses. And maybe DeFranco's Limber 11 before running.

But rest if you think it may be an injury.