why do people run on treadmills as soon as they get on them?

Options
no warmup or nothing
makes me cringe
not to be a snob but thats not the proper way to run
dont be that person who walks into the gym with hoody still on
gets on the treadmill and without a warmup much less a stretch
cranks it up and start pounding away on it

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Do you even run?

I don't stretch, especially when not warmed up. My warmup is the first mile or two of my run. You don't need to walk to warm up.
    I also walk out the door of my house and run too.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I use my apartment gym so I always assume they warmed up in their house.

Though I don't get the hoodie thing. I'd sweat too much.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A better question might be 'why is that car full of balloons?':huh:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    There is no conclusive evidence that stretching helps with sorness or injury prevention (mobility work is a different story) however most people do benefit from some type of warmup. I need to start slow and then crank up the speed. Maybe these people are really lucky in that they've never had any injuries and don't really need the warmup
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, but my neighbour frequently runs or cycles to his. Now I know he does weights when he gets there, but maybe your treadmillers walked to the gym?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    ... but thats not the proper way to run...

Who decides what is the proper way to run. The person who is doing the exercise, not the random stranger in the gym with them.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've heard that stretching - at least static stretching is not good to do prior to a run.
    I sometimes do a warm up walk but sometimes I'm just ready to go. It really depends on my mindset and I guess for each person what their body can handle.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do you even run?

:flowerforyou:
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I run daily and I do not "warm up" the way you are implying either. I just slap on my shoes and start running...I too warm up during the first mile or two of my run. Walking and or stretching to warm up seems completely pointless to me (and current research shows it is not necessarily effective).
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Do you even run?

I don't stretch, especially when not warmed up. My warmup is the first mile or two of my run. You don't need to walk to warm up.
    I also walk out the door of my house and run too.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ME TOO!
  • margauxcapp
    Options
    The first thing I do when I get to the gym is run for 5 minutes on the treadmill - I was always told you needed to warm your body up before you do stretching otherwise you can injure yourself. I don't stretch until the end of my workout though - this is my basic gym routine:
    - treadmill 5 minutes
    - strength training (crunches, planks, weights, machines etc.) 30-40 minutes
    - elliptical machine 15 minutes
    - stretching 5 minutes
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    *sings*

it's your thing... do what you wanna dooooo!
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    no warmup or nothing
    makes me cringe
    not to be a snob but thats not the proper way to run
    dont be that person who walks into the gym with hoody still on
    gets on the treadmill and without a warmup much less a stretch
    cranks it up and start pounding away on it

Who are you to judge how someone works out? Why not be happy that they're trying to improve their life instead? I never warm up before running, unless you count some stretches and the walk from my door to the road, which is around maybe 500 feet. I've been running for over a year, and have run numerous races, and I've never gotten injured from not doing a warm up run. If anything, doing a warm up run would be worse for me since slow paces/short strides kill my knees. I just listen to my body and if I need to stop or slow down during my run, then I do.

Also, saying you aren't trying to be a snob doesn't mean you don't come across as one. Just a heads up.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Why do you even CARE?

Focus on what you are doing, you'll see your workout goes much more smoothly.
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    I run 60+km a week. I have never and will never stretch or "warm up". Why? Because the evidence doesn't support it.
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym. I consider that my warm up. And I don't stretch at all, primarily because I hate it, but luckily have never had a problem. And if I did, it would not be with cold muscles.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    just dont wanna see folks injure themselves on something embarassing like a treadmill
    warm those muscles up first folks then crank it up
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I run with scissors in my hand.

No warm up either.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How do you know they haven't warmed up already? It's unheard of to walk or bike to the gym? :/