Sugar in fruit?

I don't really eat added sugar, just sometimes ice cream or cookies. Anyway... should I be worried about my sugar intake from fruit? I really love eating fruit but I reach 60 grams (my "goal") really easily!
I just had my bloodwork done and glucose level is fine.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    No. Do not worry about it. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Your last sentence means that as long as it doesn't cause you to go over your calorie goal or lose out on other nutrients, you're fine to eat as much as you want (again, while keeping overall calories down and other nutrients up).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Out of interest, what proportion of the 60g comes from fruit (your diary is closed)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Sugar from fruit is the same as added sugar. Your body doesn't know the difference, and it breaks it all down the same way. That said, you still don't have to worry about it unless you have a medical condition. The preset limits on MFP are pretty low I think.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    I don't really eat added sugar, just sometimes ice cream or cookies. Anyway... should I be worried about my sugar intake from fruit? I really love eating fruit but I reach 60 grams (my "goal") really easily!
    I just had my bloodwork done and glucose level is fine.

Don't worry about the sugar, don't even track it. Track fiber instead. Aim for 15 grams per 1000 calories...
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    If you haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes or have a fruit allergy, you don’t need to be cautious with your intake of fruit
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I track fiber instead of sugar. Much more useful information for me. Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to track sugar I'd suggest switching - any fruit and you're probably over on your MFP sugar goal.
  • DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    I am diabetic and take Insulin. I also see a diabetes educator/ nutritionist on a regular basis at my doctor's office. Fruit and carbs are allowed on my diet. I eat lean meats and lots of non starchy veggies. I am allowed up to 1600 calories a day, but I aim for 1250 because I want to lose weight. I lost 4.5 pounds last week and my fasting glucose was 105 this morning. Portion control is the key.
  • yarwell
    I track sugar and fibre. My head isn't in the sand.
  • jbco424
    jbco424 Posts: 1 Member
    You should try to limit your fruit to the first half of the day - lunch time or earlier!
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2016
    yarwell wrote: »
    Out of interest, what proportion of the 60g comes from fruit (your diary is closed)

today (here is night) I had 90 grams of sugar, 20 were from soy milk and veggies, 70 from fruit. I had too many dried plums :smiley:

I also track fibres and I always get plenty of them too!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    The sugar in fruit is delicious. It's what gives it flavor. :grin:

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    jbco424 wrote: »
    You should try to limit your fruit to the first half of the day - lunch time or earlier!

Why?
  • yarwell
    Dried fruit would certainly boost the intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    I track sugar and fibre. My head isn't in the sand.

I often track sugar and fiber too, although I switch them around with sat fat. (And I don't always log -- over the last year I often don't.) When I am, I have yet to be surprised at all by my sugar numbers, or the source of that sugar, so not tracking doesn't mean your head is in the sand. It's not that hard to understand your own diet if you are thoughtful about it.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    jbco424 wrote: »

Those in the Southern Hemisphere should do the opposite.