Negative Net Calories

Options
aflies
aflies Posts: 78 Member
Is it okay/healthy to end your day with negative net calories?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!! Your net needs to be positive, and a minimum of 1200.
  • aflies
    Options
    Okay. Thank you. Even if I am eating the 1200? I would need to eat 2400 calories that day?
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you want to end up with 1200 net calories, and you do 1200 calories worth of exercise then you would need to eat 2400.

• aflies
    Options
    Thank you. I enter my strength training and I just leave my fitbit connected. I figured it was giving me more than I deserve... I have seen progress, but it is slow progress. I will keep pushing forward. Thank you both for your words of wisdom.
  • Jams009
    Options
    Another option:

I find it much simpler to not log exercise and just set my calorie goal based on my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - the amount of calories you burn on average including exercise. That way exercise is already factored in to your calorie goal.

Find out your approximate TDEE and set your goal to that - 20%, try that for 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed based on scale movement.

You can find out roughly what your TDEE by using an online calculator; just google 'TDEE calculator' and there should be a bunch of them. Over time you'll get an idea on what your TDEE actually is based on scale movements vs calorie intake.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP if you are looking at the red negative number "calories" on the far right side of your diary-- those are NOT "net" calories. Those are how far over your net you have eaten. If it happens to be a green number on the right above "calories" it is how many you went under your daily net goal.
  • Phrick
    edited May 2016
    Options
    aflies wrote: »
    Thank you. I enter my strength training and I just leave my fitbit connected. I figured it was giving me more than I deserve... I have seen progress, but it is slow progress. I will keep pushing forward. Thank you both for your words of wisdom.

This may be where things are getting inflated - it's sad and seems wrong but lifting/strength training burns surprisingly little. I see some people with entries of hundreds of calories for strength training and just have to shake my head, it's just not accurate.

What rate of loss did you select? And if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you and how much are you looking to lose? It always seems like weight loss is agonizingly slow, especially if you compare it with how easy/fast you can gain it! But slow and steady is smarter, in the long run, because (assuming you're eating enough protein and lifting) you'll lose more fat and less muscle mass, so you'll look better in the end :)
  • Jams009
    Options
    Or use your fitbit - see how many calories you burn in a day on average and eat that -20%. Try for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on scale movement.

Or use a mixture of all the above, none are 100% accurate, so using more than one method to calculate how much you should be eating can help give you a better ballpark figure to start with.

Ultimately the scale is the best indicator of whether you are eating the right amount.
  • aflies
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    OP if you are looking at the red negative number "calories" on the far right side of your diary-- those are NOT "net" calories. Those are how far over your net you have eaten. If it happens to be a green number on the right above "calories" it is how many you went under your daily net goal.

I am looking at the far right number with the word Net below it. It currently is at -356, but my day is almost over since I work nights.

• aflies
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

This may be where things are getting inflated - it's sad and seems wrong but lifting/strength training burns surprisingly little. I see some people with entries of hundreds of calories for strength training and just have to shake my head, it's just not accurate.

What rate of loss did you select? And if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you and how much are you looking to lose? It always seems like weight loss is agonizingly slow, especially if you compare it with how easy/fast you can gain it! But slow and steady is smarter, in the long run, because (assuming you're eating enough protein and lifting) you'll lose more fat and less muscle mass, so you'll look better in the end :)

Actually, usually after I enter it, it has just a slash beside it with no extra calorie burn given. But I can totally see how that works like you said.
    I am 5'3" tall and currently weigh 158.6 pounds. I have set my goal to lose 1 pound a week with a goal to be 120 pounds by next March. I have adjusted my macros to 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein, only because my body does not handle carbs well and I tend to eat more protein.
  • Phrick
    edited May 2016
    Options

Actually, usually after I enter it, it has just a slash beside it with no extra calorie burn given. But I can totally see how that works like you said.
    I am 5'3" tall and currently weigh 158.6 pounds. I have set my goal to lose 1 pound a week with a goal to be 120 pounds by next March. I have adjusted my macros to 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein, only because my body does not handle carbs well and I tend to eat more protein.

Sounds like you have a pretty reasonable approach to things! Bravo, so many don't when they first start out :).

Purely out of "it's 3:50 in the morning and I'm bored," I have a question: if you don't do well with carbs - why do you have your macro for carbs at half of your intake? I also don't do well with carbs and manually set mine to be much lower. I do better from a hunger/satiety take, on about 25-30% protein, 15-20% carbs and 55-60% fats (however, protein and carb levels are at the advice of my doctor, and don't work for EVERYONE, either - and it took probably 18 months of monkeying around with things to find my sweet spot)

(edited because it's 3:50 in the morning and my math skills suck this early. Well they suck all the time but it's worse this early)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Another option:

I find it much simpler to not log exercise and just set my calorie goal based on my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - the amount of calories you burn on average including exercise. That way exercise is already factored in to your calorie goal.

Find out your approximate TDEE and set your goal to that - 20%, try that for 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed based on scale movement.

You can find out roughly what your TDEE by using an online calculator; just google 'TDEE calculator' and there should be a bunch of them. Over time you'll get an idea on what your TDEE actually is based on scale movements vs calorie intake.

This this this.

Forget logging exercise, it's a wholly inaccurate endevour.

If you want a visual log of your exercise there's plenty of stand alone apps out there, or a notepad works just fine.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    In the most basic scenario, yes. HOWEVER. I would question your burn, there's almost no one who can achieve a 1200+ calorie burn from exercise in a day. If you're getting your numbers from what My Fitness Pal tells you when you enter your exercises, or from the machines at the gym, you can be assured you're not actually burning as much as it tells you. Chances are you're burning MAYBE 75% of what it says. The reason for that is that MFP and the gym machines don't know your personal stats (age, height, weight, current fitness level; VO2 max, max heart rate, I could go on) so it gives a crappy estimate.

First thing I personally would do is eat the 1200, which is meant to be your goal BEFORE EXERCISE in the MFP model;
    Second, when recording exercise, I would personally either manually cut the calories by 1/3, or enter your length of exercise time as less than actual so that the calculation comes in lower;
    Third, eat to the goal it gives you, even if it seems ridiculously inflated to you, because...
    Fourth, you need to trust the process.
    Fifth, follow this plan for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, then assess. If you have lost weight in this time, then it is working. If you have not, then look at making changes.

I agree that it is difficult for someone to burn 1200 calories in a day exercising. I also agree that some of the MFP numbers are way high.

But "almost no one can burn 1200" is an overstatement-especially if one is really active and sets baseline at sedentary.
  • aflies
    Options
    Sounds like you have a pretty reasonable approach to things! Bravo, so many don't when they first start out :).

Purely out of "it's 3:50 in the morning and I'm bored," I have a question: if you don't do well with carbs - why do you have your macro for carbs at half of your intake? I also don't do well with carbs and manually set mine to be much lower. I do better from a hunger/satiety take, on about 25-30% protein, 15-20% carbs and 55-60% fats (however, protein and carb levels are at the advice of my doctor, and don't work for EVERYONE, either - and it took probably 18 months of monkeying around with things to find my sweet spot)

(edited because it's 3:50 in the morning and my math skills suck this early. Well they suck all the time but it's worse this early)[/quote]

:) I was always told that your carbs should be at least 50%... I have been looking into exactly what you are saying pretty much anyways. The Keto Plan... I am working with a dietician and my PCP due to medical problems, and they both say to wait until my blood work comes back to check on a few things before I go any lower, but thank you again. God Bless
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Very occasionally, when I've had a super active day, I end up in negative calories and that's after eating 2000+. Sorry but I just can't physically eat 3500+ calories any more, not without starting a chocolate binge off. But I bank those calories and use them for little treats throughout the week, especially on days when I'm not so active. Means I can eat at around 2000 calories every day and still lose weight.
  • aflies
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Very occasionally, when I've had a super active day, I end up in negative calories and that's after eating 2000+. Sorry but I just can't physically eat 3500+ calories any more, not without starting a chocolate binge off. But I bank those calories and use them for little treats throughout the week, especially on days when I'm not so active. Means I can eat at around 2000 calories every day and still lose weight.

Great idea. Thank you. I don't have negative often but was just curious about others thoughts.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There is a huge amount of real estate between 50% carbs and a keto diet. If your body doesn't tolerate carbs well I still don't understand why you have your goal set that high for carbs? Maybe try 40-30-30 for a while? You can still go lower than that without going all the way to a ketogenic lifestyle which requires a tremendous amount of dietary change and diligence in planning.

Also, if you are using a FitBit, what does it say your average calorie burn is? I find mine to be fairly accurate and when I was losing, I set my MFP goal to my FitBit avg cals minus 250 (for 0.5 lb/week) and had good success with that. The numbers weren't far off from what MFP was recommending for my job exercise maintenance cals so I went back to that for maintenance, eating back my FitBit adjustments.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    In the most basic scenario, yes. HOWEVER. I would question your burn, there's almost no one who can achieve a 1200+ calorie burn from exercise in a day. If you're getting your numbers from what My Fitness Pal tells you when you enter your exercises, or from the machines at the gym, you can be assured you're not actually burning as much as it tells you. Chances are you're burning MAYBE 75% of what it says. The reason for that is that MFP and the gym machines don't know your personal stats (age, height, weight, current fitness level; VO2 max, max heart rate, I could go on) so it gives a crappy estimate.

First thing I personally would do is eat the 1200, which is meant to be your goal BEFORE EXERCISE in the MFP model;
    Second, when recording exercise, I would personally either manually cut the calories by 1/3, or enter your length of exercise time as less than actual so that the calculation comes in lower;
    Third, eat to the goal it gives you, even if it seems ridiculously inflated to you, because...
    Fourth, you need to trust the process.
    Fifth, follow this plan for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, then assess. If you have lost weight in this time, then it is working. If you have not, then look at making changes.

I agree that it is difficult for someone to burn 1200 calories in a day exercising. I also agree that some of the MFP numbers are way high.

But "almost no one can burn 1200" is an overstatement-especially if one is really active and sets baseline at sedentary.

I am not sure how difficult it actually is...

Take for example for each mile walked you burn on average 100 calories.

I walked 5 miles on Monday, then gardened for about 3 hours...hand tilling, digging, tugging etc.

According to map my fitness along with my normal activity my walk and gardening I burned 1300.

I could do that everyday easy if I didn't work.
  • aflies
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, if you are using a FitBit, what does it say your average calorie burn is? I find mine to be fairly accurate and when I was losing, I set my MFP goal to my FitBit avg cals minus 250 (for 0.5 lb/week) and had good success with that. The numbers weren't far off from what MFP was recommending for my job exercise maintenance cals so I went back to that for maintenance, eating back my FitBit adjustments.

How do I find out what my fitbit says I burn? I have the old original fitbit. I thought the only thing it does is count steps.