Setting a goal weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 and my goal weight is 143lbs, only a few more to go!
    I picked my goal weight because that's the weight/size that I fit comfortably in my favourite size 6 jeans.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    [quote="pebble4321;36597772"

But I don't see the point in picking a number and then agonising if I don't meet it. I see so many "can't lose the last 5 or 10 pounds" posts, and I just don't understand this. Why does it matter to see a specific number on the scale?

Because you're assuming everyone on MFP is losing weight for health reasons. Some have a goal weight or "look" they are going for that is purely aesthetic.
    If you're Almost at your goal but still see a muffin top or thighs bigger than you'd like, then why wouldn't you go all the way to get to your goals?
    I am trying to lose fat and/or the last 10 lbs by eating at a small deficit and working out.
    If I wake up one day and look the way I want to look, I won't care what the scale reads.
    The scale is just another barometer of progress, like measurements, clothing size, lifting heavier or running further than you did last month.

[/quote]

Aren't we saying the same thing though ... you are going for a particular goal (health, looks etc) but at the end of the day the number is not the important thing, you will know when you have reached your goal because you look the way you want to look? That may be above or below the magic "goal" number?
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal based on a weight I was in the past when I looked good and felt healthy. I'm only 5'1" so could be in "healthy range" at much lower than 9 stone but I don't think it's very me.

Also, I'm mainly short because of my legs, I'm more stumpy than petite! Losing any more than 2 stone would just be overwhelming though so I'm still just going day by day rather than have an end goal.