Good carbs

I'm struggling to identify good carbs vs bad carbs... Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between the two, beside the obvious candy, sweets, sugar ect... Thank you advance for any advice on this topic!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    It's subjective. What is the difference between good art and bad art?

Dietitians will encourage people to eat unrefined legumes and grains more often, likely because they will have a slightly higher nutritional profile (vitamins, minerals) and more fiber. This fiber will also slow down digestion somewhat.

In this category you've got a wide range of foods;

steel cut oats, whole wheat, brown rice, kasha, buckwheat, wild rice, quinoa, chia, corn

all the legumes, beans, etc.

all the fruits

all the vegetables

starchy vegetables eaten with their skin like yams, sweet potatoes, and potatoes
  • steelergal66
    steelergal66 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you,again
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    In my experience when someone says good carbs they typically mean fruits, vegetables (including legumes), and whole grains.

When they say bad carbs they typically mean sugars, syrups and overly processed grains (flour, especially if not whole grain flour).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Good carbs are carbs gel sachets made up of 2:1 ratio of glucose to fructose - when I'm cycling a long way.
    Bad carbs are carb gel sachets made up of 2:1 ratio of glucose to fructose - when I'm sitting in front of my PC.

Context of the whole diet, lifestyle and calorie balance is what's important not individual food choices.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Good carbs are carbs gel sachets made up of 2:1 ratio of glucose to fructose - when I'm cycling a long way.
    Bad carbs are carb gel sachets made up of 2:1 ratio of glucose to fructose - when I'm sitting in front of my PC.

Context of the whole diet, lifestyle and calorie balance is what's important not individual food choices.

Well said. Agree 100%
  • bbgun714
    bbgun714 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey :)
    A friend of mine is studying to become a dietician and has helped me learned the difference between good and bad carbs.

Of course fruits and vegetables, legumes, oatmeal, rice (brown), beans and other whole grains are great, BUT the way to see if the carbs such as crackers, popcorn, cereals and such are worth it is to divide the carbs by the fiber.

Say you're having a serving of popcorn; the carb count is 15g, and the fiber is 3g

Divide 15/3 and you get 5

Basically if the number you end up with is 7 or lower, it is a healthier carb compared to white bread and white pasta.