Woman's Vegan Diet May Have Played a Role in Her Death on Mount Everest

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
This Woman's Vegan Diet May Have Played a Role in Her Death on Mount Everest
she was on a quest to climb the world’s seven most challenging summits to prove that “vegans can do anything.”
But in a sad twist, her vegan diet may have contributed to her death on the mountain.

“Altitude sickness can affect anyone,” says Niket Sonpal, M.D., assistant clinical professor at Touro College of Medicine in New York. “It’s an equal opportunity offender. But oxygen-carrying capacity is something that vegans can be affected by.”

A vegan diet in of itself puts the person on the diet in a disadvantage nutritionally. Without additional supplements the dieter can be under the necessary amounts of B12 which allows red blood cells to carry oxygen. Sadly this woman died from altitude sickness which at it's base is a lack of oxygen. Would she have lived had she not been on a vegan diet? I think that's impossible to say but this should be a cautionary tale to anyone that's following this diet plan. More so those who are involved in sports and on a vegan diet at the same time.

The woman's husband, also a vegan, were climbing Everest to be the first vegans on the summit in an attempt to prove that vegans can do anything. He narrowly escaped death and has been hospitalized.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A vegan athlete that did not know she had to take certain vitamins?
    She never had a doctor mention it?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Of the 6 dead, how many were actually vegan?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

True but if you look at the percentage of vegans climbing that died you get 50% mortality. Nearly 100%. It was a close call for him.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The comments on that article are fascinating.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Only 1. Those articles are just click bate. So sad but it had nothing to do with her diet.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Without knowing if she was supplementing properly or not, it seems out of place to speculate about if her diet contributed to the altitude sickness and subsequent death. She and her husband were experienced, avid mountain climbers and long time vegans. I'm sure they had taken precautions to have a safe climb.

It's a tragedy that she died, as all deaths on Everest are, and my heart goes out to her husband who will have to cope with her loss.

How is it a tragedy when adults die in what is essentially a recreational endeavor that they should know carries a substantial risk of death? That's just the odds catching up to you.

Tragedy is when a child dies playing in her bedroom from a stray bullet fired out on the street, or a plane goes down killing hundreds because a bird got sucked into the engines, or a parent working two jobs gets hit by a car crossing an inadequately lit street after a 90-minute bus ride to get back to the kids.

I'm not saying I don't feel sympathy for her family, the way you would if a lifetime smoker died of lung cancer or a lifetime binge-drinker died of liver failure. I'm just missing what the tragic element is here.

I agree with you that your situations are much more tragic because of the innocence involved and the unavoidable nature of such events, but I thought about it before choosing that particular word and I'll stand by it.

It makes sense when viewed in the classical way--a character flaw that leads to the hero's downfall. In the case of mountaineers, their sense of adventure can be their undoing, and the sense of wasted life and unfulfilled dreams that they leave behind can be haunting.

But I also meant it in the sense that it's a grueling death that immediately impacts and puts team members at risk. Then usually the body is left behind to become a gruesome landmark for others who could very well be trudging along to their own deaths. Family members--who may have been dead set against an expedition-- may never have the closure of a real burial and have to carry the burden of their loved one's senseless death.

And no matter how you cut it, it's a personal tragedy for the people themselves who honestly believed, perhaps foolishly, that they had what it took and found out the hard way how wrong they were.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't really think this is the place to bash other people's lifestyle choices. Unless you knew the woman and exactly what she ate, you cannot put it down to her vegan diet. I mean, what about all the carnivores that have died due to their diets?
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So no meat eaters have died on Mt Everest? Low carbers? Paleo? If they have, does it prove those diets wrong? This article displays an astounding lack of logic that seems to be driven by a desire to play "gotcha" to discredit a diet this author apparently doesn't like or is ignorant about. There's no evidence that this woman's diet played any role in her death, nor that she had a b12 deficiency, nor that her specific intake is representative of vegans in general (the only thing vegans share in common is a lack of animal products... You have no info on what she actually did eat). There is no evidence that vegans in general are at higher risk on Mt Everest or disproportionately affected by altitude, nor that appropriately planned vegan diets in pose any unusual health risks (according to the consensus of actual dietetics professionals and peer reviewed research vs. doctors quoted out of context in a poorly written magazine article).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Without knowing if she was supplementing properly or not, it seems out of place to speculate about if her diet contributed to the altitude sickness and subsequent death. She and her husband were experienced, avid mountain climbers and long time vegans. I'm sure they had taken precautions to have a safe climb.

It's a tragedy that she died, as all deaths on Everest are, and my heart goes out to her husband who will have to cope with her loss.

How is it a tragedy when adults die in what is essentially a recreational endeavor that they should know carries a substantial risk of death? That's just the odds catching up to you.

Tragedy is when a child dies playing in her bedroom from a stray bullet fired out on the street, or a plane goes down killing hundreds because a bird got sucked into the engines, or a parent working two jobs gets hit by a car crossing an inadequately lit street after a 90-minute bus ride to get back to the kids.

I'm not saying I don't feel sympathy for her family, the way you would if a lifetime smoker died of lung cancer or a lifetime binge-drinker died of liver failure. I'm just missing what the tragic element is here.

I tend to feel the same way. I feel for her family, but let's not act like this was some freak occurrence. She knew the risk.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence this woman was deficient in B12 and she had several successful difficult climbs behind her. Other vegans have successfully climbed Everest and non-vegans have died of the exact same causes on Everest.

This feels like baseless scare-mongering.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

True but if you look at the percentage of vegans climbing that died you get 50% mortality. Nearly 100%. It was a close call for him.

No. At least one other vegan has a successful summit.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So no meat eaters have died on Mt Everest? Low carbers? Paleo? If they have, does it prove those diets wrong? This article displays an astounding lack of logic that seems to be driven by a desire to play "gotcha" to discredit a diet this author apparently doesn't like or is ignorant about. There's no evidence that this woman's diet played any role in her death, nor that she had a b12 deficiency, nor that her specific intake is representative of vegans in general (the only thing vegans share in common is a lack of animal products... You have no info on what she actually did eat). There is no evidence that vegans in general are at higher risk on Mt Everest or disproportionately affected by altitude, nor that appropriately planned vegan diets in pose any unusual health risks (according to the consensus of actual dietetics professionals and peer reviewed research vs. doctors quoted out of context in a poorly written magazine article).

Unfortunately it's not just this article. Her death is being reported in major news outlets and the only reason it's of interest is that she was vegan.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Husband-wife team climb Everest to justify veganism.
    Wife dies from altitude sickness; husband falls ill.
    Evidence suggests (but doesn't prove) altitude sickness could be linked to vegan diet.

In a week in which Everest deaths are already newsworthy, the above seems pretty newsworthy to me.