Snack Regret :(

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
I'm learning more about what my body needs, and today I had a snack of cucumber and popcorn. It didn't help that about half my popcorn was burnt, but holy cow talk about unsatisfying! I feel like I ate nothing.

Anyone else learning what foods just don't hit the spot? I definitely learned I need at least a little protein for snacks. My almonds were great at staving off hunger for hours.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    That makes sense but it also depends on what else I've eaten that day. If I had low carb lunch for instance, your popcorn and cukes snack might hit the spot perfectly for me.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yup. I wish I were a person who could say "Fruit totally satisfies my sweet tooth!" and maybe someday I will be but right now I'm not! At work, I love fruit and veggies as snacks. But when that sweet tooth craving hits at night, fruit doesn't cut it. Since I don't follow a plan that bans certain foods (this is just my personal preference for right now), I allow myself a popsicle or 100-cal mini ice cream cone, or something along those lines- something sweet that takes more than 5 seconds to eat (because otherwise I just want more). This has been working really well for me- I'm still losing weight, I still eat mostly healthy, and I haven't gone overboard on sweets like I used to.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A cucumber would only be a satisfying for me if I was dipping it in some hummus or tzatziki or something. Popcorn is great - I pop it in a paper bag in the microwave, then add melted butter or coconut oil - super tasty.

Fruit? I love whatever is in season. And I'm so very happy that peaches are coming in now - I love them on oatmeal, mixed in with plain Greek yogurt and some honey, and sliced over a scoop of good vanilla ice cream. All things I eat on a fairly regular basis and they fit into my goals.
  • srebal0203
    srebal0203 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone if you need great snack ideas visit bodybuilding. Com search nutrition you can have cookies,ice cream,cake you name it but the best part it tells you how to make them health and guilt free and the best part calories and macros are listed also
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Before trying to lose weight, I used to snack on packets of crisps (chips if you're in the USA) I would happily sit and eat 3 bags or a big sharing bag. I learnt from this that I need crunchy snacks, so now snack on nuts or veggies with hummus. I haven't craved crisps once in 6 weeks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    my go to snacks are cheese and crackers or yogurt.

veggies or fruit don't leave me satisfied....and nuts don't have enough protein in them for me to justify the calorie content....
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I never found nuts to be all that satisfying - but a pair of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups often help, but to me it's a pricey snack at over 200 calories for 2 of them. :/ Having baby carrots with dressing to dip into is a good go-to afternoon snack for me. The crunch helps!!!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    you ate crunchy water and crunchy air...

:laugh:

not really surprising it wasn't very filling!

I know! By the time I was hungry again (like 5 mins later) I realized that snack wasn't the best use of my calories. I brought almonds to have with the cucumber today :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on why I'm snacking.

If I'm actually hungry, I need something with some protein, not very sweet. Tasty, but not too tasty if you know what I mean. Chewy is better than crunchy. Smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs, deli meat, savory jerky, some nut bars - especially spicy or smoke-flavored ones. Those are the kinds of things that will do the trick.

If I'm snacking because I have a hankering for something, I'd better get as close to the taste I want as possible or I'll be wanting to snack all day regardless of whatever else I eat. So annoying when that happens, because whatever I want is rarely on hand.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't find snacks satisfying. 100-200 kcal of anything isn't enough for me. It's a tease. If I eat a little bit it's like I've broken the seal and I just get hungrier. I do better with just a few larger meals.