Do protien shakes keep YOU full?

Options
I am just wondering....
Say if you drink a 250 calorie shake vs eating 250 calorie meal (similar macros), do you personally feel the same satiety?

I am just wondering how other people feel because I know I feel like I didn't really eat anything when I drink protein shakes. I get hungrier a lot quicker than if I ate. I know that it is "said" protein shakes should "keep you full" (hence why they became something some use for weight loss), but I have never felt full from them. In fact, I mostly drink them when I am not hungry or traveling.

My boyfriend says that he drinks them in the morning to keep him full. He says one shake will hold him over instead of a meal... but just doesn't do it for me lol.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They don't keep me full, hence i add a heap of things and make a smoothie.

100% casein mixes up thicker then whey and may give you a fuller feeling.
  • mullavey
    mullavey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Would depend on the breakdown of the protein shake as per the food, if the shake has carbs and uses a lower grade of protein which takes the body longer to digest (milk protein, calcium caseinate) then it would keep you fuller as apposed to a straight no carb Protein isolate - same could be said about food though, eating 250cals of chicken rice and veggies would be more satisfying then 250cals of chocolate.

If the shake works for them then that's cool, if not just eat the food. If the macros are the same I know I would rather be eating a meal then having a shake.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No. Not even a little bit. I only keep them around in case I have had a crazy day where I missed meals and don't want to be way under my calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Myself no I would rather eat my food than drink it I use fage 2% for my protein.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No.....That sounds like a meal replacement shake rather than a protein shake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    250 cals isn't going to make me feel full whether it's a drink or a meal.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I add extra fiber to mine and it seems to do the trick most of the time, some days I am just hungrier than most so I'll just have a little extra....a couple of eggs, or a tbsp of peanut butter, 1 ounce of cheddar cheese (block). When I don't have to work and am not in a rush I will cook breakfast instead of drink it.

For the most part some people can do it and others can not
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering....
    Say if you drink a 250 calorie shake vs eating 250 calorie meal (similar macros), do you personally feel the same satiety?

I am just wondering how other people feel because I know I feel like I didn't really eat anything when I drink protein shakes. I get hungrier a lot quicker than if I ate. I know that it is "said" protein shakes should "keep you full" (hence why they became something some use for weight loss), but I have never felt full from them. In fact, I mostly drink them when I am not hungry or traveling.

My boyfriend says that he drinks them in the morning to keep him full. He says one shake will hold him over instead of a meal... but just doesn't do it for me lol.

If you are trying to drop weight, I would say eat your calories vs. drinking them.
    Because in your case you would feel hungry quickly after drinking 250 calories...whereas you would have been content if you at those same 250 calories.

Sometimes I feel fine for a while after drinking a protein shake....other times I get hungry again quickly.
    So it varies.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast keeps me fuller for same amount of calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think on average for most people, eating solid food will cause greater satiety vs. drinking it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Protein shakes? No. Smoothies yes because I add all kinds of things such as veggies, greens, fruit, seeds, nuts, fiber powder, coconut oil etc. Depends on what I'm making. That keeps me full for quite some time.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Are you talking about a store-bought "protein shake?" How much protein is in that 250 calories? How much fat?
    Though they might be OK in a pinch, I have never found a grab-and-go shake that is satisfying, so I make them myself. My smoothies are huge and are loaded with protein, fat, and fiber and I love them! Easily the same satiety as many of my breakfasts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    None of them do. Heck even protein powder mixed in stuff seems like empty calories sometimes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find solid food much more satiating than liquids, for the same amount of cals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My smoothie has almost 500 calories.

fruit, almond milk, juice and protein powder it's more like a milk shake to be honest.

It fills me as much as my winter breakfast of 1 piece of toast with butter, ham slices and 2 egg muffins with ham, veggies and cheese.

I am not sure protein powder mixed with water or milk would be the same tho....
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie most mornings that comes in at about 215 calories. I don't like to eat first thing in the morning so a smoothie is a good choice for me. It keeps me relatively full but I also always have a snack between my smoothie and lunch.

If they don't keep you full and you would rather eat food than drink a shake, do it. Shakes/smoothies/supplements are not required for weight loss.
  • tmshank18
    tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body...I personally feel hungry quicker by drinking the protein shakes vs. eating a meal.
    I've also learned over time that sometimes hunger is mistaken for thirst...which is why I always drink water first when feeling hungry. Calories are calories regardless if its liquid or solid. Do what makes you feel best!! :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I eat ~250 cal worth of solid food, it just makes me want more solid food.

I wouldn't say a shake makes me full, but it also doesn't activate the "MUST EAT MORE" drive like a little bit of food does.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think most people are giving you the same advice. Packeted 'slimming' foods like protein shakes are a useful fall back because they do (generally) contain a balanced meal. But they are expensive and full of chemicals.
    You will find that home made soups and milkshakes are not difficult to make and provide a far more delicious and nutritious meal.
    In my view there is no doubt that a liquid meal, with a few added chunky bits of vegetable or tofu, is very satisfying and can be a nice low calorie option.
    Equally if you need solid food then go ahead and enjoy. You can always achieve the same full stomach feeling by drinking a glass of water before the meal.
    Above all, you will never achieve your goal unless you enjoy what you are eating.
    Good luck
    Wendy