Exercise induced panic attacks

Options
2»

Replies

• charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    And to jump on my soapbox,
    there is NO SHAME in taking medication for depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, or any other mental illness/syndrome. Mental illness and medications have such a terrible social stigma that is horribly unfair. Medication to help resolve a medical problem is perfectly fine for physical ailments within society.... diabetics take insulin shots when they need them, so why should a person with panic attacks feel badly for taking medication to fix their medical situation?
    No shame, my dear.... no shame :flowerforyou:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my best friend of oh jeez...14 years? LOL
    Well said my bestest, well said.
  • KikiODonoghue
    Options
    A dear friend of mine, a psychologist battling occasional anxiety once told me that whenever she starts to feel like she's going to pass out (most common of her panic attack triggers) she tells herself; ''What's the worst that could happen? If I do pass out, someone will pick me up and take me to the hospital. That's the worst case scenario'' I know it's not the same as when you think you're having a heart attack, but it's a good logic. Helps her.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not using a HR monitor. I've never used one. If the numbers make you anxious why use it? You can get a lot out of exercise without one.
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I resorted to taking medication, and within 20 minutes I was okay.

Nah.... FORTUNATELY you had meds you could take and make the panic attack go away.
    I have my meds and have finally accepted that if I'm having a panic attack, I need to pop a valium and let the attack subside, assuming I can't work my way out of it mentally within a short period of time.
    There is NO SHAME in taking medication for panic attacks.

And to jump on my soapbox,
    there is NO SHAME in taking medication for depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, or any other mental illness/syndrome. Mental illness and medications have such a terrible social stigma that is horribly unfair. Medication to help resolve a medical problem is perfectly fine for physical ailments within society.... diabetics take insulin shots when they need them, so why should a person with panic attacks feel badly for taking medication to fix their medical situation?
    No shame, my dear.... no shame :flowerforyou:
    THIS.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you all for your responses!

Since that initial panic attack, I've had them almost every day ALL day long. I realized this was from stupidly quitting Lexapro cold turkey quite some time ago.

In the days since, I've been having to medicate for anxiety, which, I am not ashamed of. I have also restarted the Lexapro. I'm having a hard time adjusting the way the Lexapro makes me feel, but I will NOT give up. I've officially lost 20 pounds (actually, 22 as of this morning!) so my determination is higher than ever.

I will not allow this to deter my weight loss!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you started this thread!

How are things going for you now? Are you trying medication again?

I have had GAD for years.

I can't use a heart rate monitor because it triggers a panic attack. I can't look when they are taking my BP at the doc because it can trigger a panic attack.

I would suggest really getting into yoga and meditation doing some daily as it will really help you if you have a panic attack plus it is just nice.

I sometimes get that weird feeling of light headed and just weird after exercise. Sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out. If I am at home, I just lie down for a little bit and read a book.

If I am out, I doing my meditative breathing or take a xanax.

Just wanted to offer you encouragement from someone who knows.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you started this thread!

How are things going for you now? Are you trying medication again?

I have had GAD for years.

I can't use a heart rate monitor because it triggers a panic attack. I can't look when they are taking my BP at the doc because it can trigger a panic attack.

I would suggest really getting into yoga and meditation doing some daily as it will really help you if you have a panic attack plus it is just nice.

I sometimes get that weird feeling of light headed and just weird after exercise. Sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out. If I am at home, I just lie down for a little bit and read a book.

If I am out, I doing my meditative breathing or take a xanax.

Just wanted to offer you encouragement from someone who knows.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! I kind of forgot about this post somehow...maybe because I have restarted Lexapro!

For 3 weeks, I hung out on the recumbent bike. I had about 4 panic attacks a day after my initial post. I started Lexapro that night and started feeling better within just a few days. Yesterday was my first day back on the arc-trainer and it felt great. Once I see my heart rate rise a bit too much, I tell myself to just take it easy and relax! Sometimes if I feel anxious I'll take .25 mg xanax before or at the gym and I am no longer ashamed to admit it.

The support of my fiance also really helped. I feel like myself again! Thank you for your kind words!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you all for your responses!

Since that initial panic attack, I've had them almost every day ALL day long. I realized this was from stupidly quitting Lexapro cold turkey quite some time ago.

In the days since, I've been having to medicate for anxiety, which, I am not ashamed of. I have also restarted the Lexapro. I'm having a hard time adjusting the way the Lexapro makes me feel, but I will NOT give up. I've officially lost 20 pounds (actually, 22 as of this morning!) so my determination is higher than ever.

I will not allow this to deter my weight loss!
    Good for you!! I know the feeling. I went off Celexa last month after being on it for 2 years and last night had a panic attack that woke me up out of a sound sleep and was up pacing and trying to talk myself out of it for 2 hours. I finally gave up and took an ativan. I haven't had to take one in years but it relxed me enough where I was finally able to go to sleep. Panick/anxiety is just miserable. Hope the Lexapro works for you
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm going to venture a guess that you were dizzy because you over-exterted yourself and may have been dehydrated. but because you have a history of anxiety, you thought the worst and suddenly got a panic attack (self-fulfilling prophecy). i know this, because i have a history of anxiety/panic attacks. exercise is one of the only things that HELPS me calm down. (that, and meds/therapy).

next time, eat a little something beforehand and make sure you're drinking enough water. do not let one panic attack derail you from exercise--or you'll feed into the demon that is anxiety. TRUST ME, I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ive been having some panic attacks lately. Exercise has been one of the triggers, im not sure whats going on there. all I kinow is every medication they have put me on has made me into a depressed zombie that doesn't even want to get out of bed. I would rather just deal with the panic attacks