Recalibrating the body's set point and losing in steps

Does anyone have experience of alternating periods of losing and maintenance to minimize impact on metabolism and recalibrate the body's set point?
I was reading the blog this week http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-dietitian-weight-loss-hard/ and the article resonated with me. I have been doing really well with my weight loss and my body weight has dropped by 10% as of this week. But I've been here before and each time I've put the weight back on quickly.

This time I've decided to take a different approach. From today I will move into maintenance for about six months to let everything settle down. In the meantime I will work on fitness levels and start using weights to build muscle. In November I plan to move into deficit again.

To be honest I'm terrified that the weight will go back on I when move out of deficit. I'm also scared that I will lose the motivation to move back into deficit in November and will slip back to my old ways.

If anyone has had a positive experience with this approach I could really do with hearing about it. I was so focused and positive about my progress that I feel something good has been taken from me.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I came down in a series of steps from what was my original goal weight to what turned out to be my eventual best weight range. Have a read of my profile if interested.

Using the work "terrified" is a worry! Make sure you don't react to short term fluctuations out of line with your calorie intake or you will magnify your anxiety, start trying to micro manage something that you can't and never be happy. Look for the long trend and not short term fluctuations.

You have identified that maintenance is what you struggle with rather than weight loss so good idea to practice that skill.

By the way I've never had a set point, may work for some but certainly not for me.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    I did the same - very easily lost a lot of weight over a 6 month period then maintained for 6 months. I decided to have a break after reading a similar article.

There will be a small initial gain so be ready for it. Maintenance is also harder because there's no set goal other than to maintain the status quo - so your fitness focus is a good plan. I was initially much hungrier and had to work out is it psychological or physiological. It took a lot of willpower not to gradually start to overeat.

I've recently gone back to a (much smaller) deficit as I'd like to lose a bit more body fat. It was hard to return to a deficit when I don't have much weight to lose but once you start seeing changes again it does get easier again.

The only other comment I'd make is that I guess you live in Dublin due to your u/n - your plan will have you eating at maintenance over summer and dieting in winter. Its far easier the other way round, imo.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Clarewho wrote: »
    - your plan will have you eating at maintenance over summer and dieting in winter. Its far easier the other way round, imo.
    ^^ yeah agree with this, its easier to lose in summer than winter.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Oh yes and I must admit I didn't mean for the maintenance break to be 6 months long. Oops.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Generally I think it's a good idea to have periods of maintenance.

If you're interested in learning more about set points and settling points I'd check out Stephan Guyenet's blog at http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/

Even if we temporarily ignore any physiological mechanisms at play that could support the concept of set points/settling points, it certainly makes sense from a behavioral and psychological standpoint to spend some time maintaining weight in between periods of weight loss.

• Dublinmum
    Dublinmum Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the advice all. I've lost 10% of my body weight in three months. The weight has come off pretty easily but maybe a bit too quickly. I'll try maintenance for a few weeks and see how I get on. Same routine on healthy eating and tracking but slightly bigger portions to achieve balance. It's all about habit forming. Good point about losing during the summer Clarewho, six months is probably too long between the steps. Thanks for the link to Stephan Guyenet's blog SideSteel. There's a lot of bogus information floating about online, it's good to have a science based resource. Don't read too much into my using the word 'terrified' sijomial. I'm just really focused and don't want to lose that. But, you are right, I have to relax. This is a long term gig. It can't be rushed and I should try to knock some fun out of it along the way. Nobody wants to live with angst ridden, hungry grouch
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    A friend of mine does some of those research studies that show how easy it is to lose weight compared to how hard it is to maintain. She says it takes at least ONE YEAR to recalibrate your set point so your body isn't holding on to those calories dearly.

I've maintained for four years. That did resonate with me because after a year in maintenance I suddenly dropped weight with no change in behavior - it was like my body wasn't using calories as efficiently. I had to up my intake to maintain. Anyway, that's what she says the science is.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I made a decision a while ago to aim for weight maintenance over the summer so that a calorie deficit won't get in the way of some of my athletic goals. I plan to get more aggressive with weight loss in the winter. Like you, and unlike most people. For now I'm eating better foods than I have in the past which helps keep me focused on my diet and its effects on me.

Some of the goals I'm working on are going to be pretty tough and I've been training for months to achieve them. The lost weight will be a tremendous help. I'm not really convinced on this "set point" idea and it isn't part of why I decided to stall for the season, but if there is anything to it, hopefully this will help me in the long run.

In the meantime I'm weighing myself every day and entering it so I can correct an issue early if one pops up.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2016
    Set Point is a theory; one I don't believe.

People regain weight because they aren't keeping lifestyle change and slip into old habits.

^I believe this to be true for me as well. I am an non believer in "set point" also.
    Overeating and not moving got me to where I was pre-MFP. My bad habits are the reason I will have to monitor myself for life, in order for me to keep maintaining @ my present weight (I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have been maintaining @ around 130 pounds for over 30 months). I had no problem losing, no plateaus, no cheating, no going over my daily calorie limits. I will never be able to quit logging and monitoring my weight and what I am consuming.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member

People regain weight because they aren't keeping lifestyle change and slip into old habits.

I think you missed a key point when dismissing what was in this thread. At least 2 in this thread, 3 if you count me said that the were well into maintenance then started losing weight again with no change in calories or exercise and had to up their calories to stop losing. I don't care if you don't believe it or not I'm thrilled with extra calories I can eat now in respect to what I was able to a year ago today when I was also in maintenance. I can tell you when it happened weight fell off with zero effort.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    BikeTourer wrote: »

I think you missed a key point when dismissing what was in this thread. At least 2 in this thread, 3 if you count me said that the were well into maintenance then started losing weight again with no change in calories or exercise and had to up their calories to stop losing. I don't care if you don't believe it or not I'm thrilled with extra calories I can eat now in respect to what I was able to a year ago today when I was also in maintenance. I can tell you when it happened weight fell off with zero effort.

Something is different; something changed. It's physiologically impossible to lose weight without a calorie deficit - there's something missing here. When people truly do not change a thing and start to lose weight, it's concerning and this like hyperthyroidism and cancer must be looked into.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member

Something is different; something changed. It's physiologically impossible to lose weight without a calorie deficit - there's something missing here. When people truly do not change a thing and start to lose weight, it's concerning and this like hyperthyroidism and cancer must be looked into.

Something IS different - the posters actually agree with you that there is a calorie deficit going on ... what they are chalking that up to is that their bodies are burning through calories faster, and they are hypothesizing that their metabolisms have changed.

• BikeTourer

Did that done that. The verdict was not only were thing good the were stellar across the board.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Changes aren't always conscious changes. Especially on the calories out side unconscious changes in activity, habits and energy levels have an impact on calorie balance. It's one of the few times that "feelings" make a physical difference.
    The first time I hit maintenance it took a couple of months to find my balance point and then I started to see my weight drift down again and had to slightly raise my calorie goal.
  • BikeTourer
    Before I lost the weight I was in the fit and fat category. I rode week long bike rides in the 400-500 mile range for the last 30 year, hiked etc, the energy level mantra never range true for me ever. If anything managed weight programs gave me fits and drained all my energy because most work under the premise that everyone who needs to lose can't be anything but sedentary. The big difference now is now is no one looks surprised anymore when the see me on the road and I no longer look hideous in cycling gear. With all the elder care issue my husband have been dealing with for 6-7 month I know with 100% certainty my activity level has dropped significantly. Trying to get a mother law from home to nursing home to senior living when she did not want to go, do what it takes to disperse items to family and put a home up for sale for someone 90 miles away when you work full-time means lot of time in the car and crunch time on exercise. We have pathetic cycling mileage, spotty strength trainig this year. Pretty much been limited to what I can do over the lunch hour because sleep is not overrated. It should be getting better but definitely not more active not even remotely close, I can see the drop in active minutes when I scroll thru my Fitbit data...
  • mommarnurse

People regain weight becaus be!"e they aren't keeping lifestyle change and slip into old habits.

Did that done that. The verdict was not only were thing good the were stellar across the board.

that's good news. still, somehow there was a deficit to lose weight. The question is really if a higher metobolic rate exists somehow. since "energy cannot be created nor destroyed", if you were losing wt with said higher metobolic rate , you were not consuming enough calories to maintain in that state. That is not the same theory as "set point" which I just cannot believe to be true.

There may be a partial truth to it, one deep-rooted in our DNA from long ago when we needed to store fat for survival during periods of famine, in which is the REASON it is so easy to go back to old ways and regain weight. it is why french fries seem so delicious and chocolate chip cookies are a weakness of many (sex feels good so our species has drive to keep up reproduction & breast milk is sweet so babies really want that stuff so they won't die); readily available , in-your-face calorie-dense foods haven't been around long at all compared to the millions of years that the human race has walked this planet. What once would have benefited man kind's survival now is destroying it. It's simply way too much of a good thing.

Set-Point: The new-and improved way to justify my obesity. "I may be fat, but it's just biologically how I'm made to be!"
  • mommarnurse
    Clarewho wrote: »
    - your plan will have you eating at maintenance over summer and dieting in winter. Its far easier the other way round, imo.
    ^^ yeah agree with this, its easier to lose in summer than winter.

Not in Florida where it's 90F by 9AM! :p (the heat just wears me out)

(means my runs are in the evening& I have a much smaller window of time to accomplish it)