Am confused on daily calorie intake

Options
According to my personal information, MFP set me at 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I also have an updated Rosemary Conley A-Z of calories book and that says I should be on 1595 calories a day. I've been told that 1200 is not enough calories for me. How can I find out what my daily calorie intake should be? am confused. Thanks

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Try this site

What are your stats?
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1200 is usually not enough. It's just A generic number mfp seems to give everyone that wants to lose 2 lbs a week. 1500 ish sounds better, but HampsterManV2 is right, we need to know your height, weight, age and activity level to correctly calculate your calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? If your goal is aggressive, MFP will give you the lowest calories allowed. Try entering a more reasonable goal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    carina62 wrote: »
    According to my personal information, MFP set me at 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I also have an updated Rosemary Conley A-Z of calories book and that says I should be on 1595 calories a day. I've been told that 1200 is not enough calories for me. How can I find out what my daily calorie intake should be? am confused. Thanks

Depends - MFP gives you a goal that does not include exercise, and if the book does figure exercise, the numbers probably come out pretty close. MFP gives you more cals to eat when you log exercise - you're supposed to eat those cals back.

But also the 2lbs a week thing, as others have said. If you don't have heaps to lose, set it to 1lb a week instead.
  • carina62
    carina62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yes I may have entered to lose 2lbs a week, how can I edit and adjust the information on MFP please? thanks