Muscle Toning/Building for Overweight 60+ Person?

Options
Hi there,

I'm writing here on behalf of my aunt, who to me, is very inspiring. She has always been overweight (I really think in this case it's genetics, because she's never been one to just EAT EAT EAT EAT - not a binger). She is and always has been quite active - does a lot of yard work, heavy lifting, cleaning - lady breaks a sweat. My friends and now husband have always mentioned to me that she is a HARD WORKER. She has recently started using MFP to track her dietary habits and has dropped around 40 pounds. She is still somewhere in the 300 range I believe though.

She feels she has plateaued, though she is still going at it strong and determined. I told her yesterday that maybe some light muscle toning would pump up her metabolism - I hope that was not wrong advice. But I thought maybe some lateral arm raises and bicep curls might help build some muscle and get her fat burning revved up....Does anyone have any suggestions for some exercises she might do? Or any advice at all for her? Not so sure about her knees anymore, so maybe keep that in mind.

Thank you so so much!

Ellie

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Strength training is good for everyone to do, but to be honest, it doesn't cause a huge change in fat loss.. especially light weights ("toning"). For the more common reasons for plateaus, search the forum for "weight loss flow chart". If she doesn't weigh everything on a food scale, that's where i would start, since most people underestimate their intake. ;)

Getting back to strength training.. the biceps & shoulders are smaller muscles and don't contribute much to metabolism compared to the larger groups (legs, back, chest). But rather than create your own program, it's best to follow a proven one, like New Rules of Lifting for Life, if she has a gym, or Nerd Fitness if she doesn't. :+1: