New to the gym! NEED TIPS!!!

meganleann5665
meganleann5665 Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2016 in Getting Started
This is my first week of my weight loss journey! I have very little motivation for working out at home mostly because I don't know what to do or where to do it!!! Well I looked into the local gym (which is actually 30 minutes away) and thought I would give it a try since its only $10 a month! I hold a pretty tight grip on the bank account so I figured if I was paying money for it, I would probably go a lot more often

Replies

• meganleann5665
    edited May 2016
    For some reason it wont post the whole thing so here it is!☺

This is my first week of my weight loss journey! I have very little motivation for working out at home mostly because I don't know what to do or where to do it!!! Well I looked into the local gym (which is actually 30 minutes away) and thought I would give it a try since its only $10 a month! I hold a pretty tight grip on the bank account so I figured if I was paying money for it, I would probably go a lot more often
  • meganleann5665
  • meganleann5665
    It's all goofed up! I'll try to post later!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Set a schedule. Stick to it. Make it non-negotiable. It is never too early to start a weight training regimen. Work with a trainer initially to come up with a routine. Get refreshers if you are starting to get bored, or if your routine is too easy. If your gym has a pool, sign up for aqua exercise classes. If you are a swimmer, incorporate 1/2 hour of laps. Go.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    you need tips on what exactly? that's a vague request :wink:
  • meganleann5665
    edited May 2016
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Try a little bit of everything and find what you like: some REALLY like the treadmill, some REALLY like the ellipticals...I REALLY like the dumb bell section. Shoot for consistency, make it fun, and enjoy this crazy amazing journey you are on!!! This isn't about the life at the end of your weight-loss, it's about all the life in between too!!
  • 1987formula
    1987formula Posts: 19 Member
    I say to KEEP IT SIMPLE..... fall on the ground and get up (some call them up/downs or burpees. Do Push-ups one of the best total body exercises that will help you everywhere. Pull up would be next but require some progress, on maybe a lat pulldown machine. Ask the people around you at the gym, most will be more then willing to give advice... sometimes it is bad advise. (just like MFP really)

YOUTUBE helps a lot of new gym rats.
  • athinastyles
    athinastyles Posts: 2 Member
    I find that having a workout partner motivates me to push myself more at the gym. I'd say go with a friend that knows what they're doing so that they can teach you proper form if you want to weight lift. If not, then just try out different machines/classes to see what you enjoy doing the most, because if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick to it for long.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Watch youtube videos, google weight training progams, speak to the staff at the gym. Try out the different machines/programs and see what you like. Don't stop learning.

If you have specific questions ask in the fitness and exercise section.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    I agree about YouTube. You can learn a lot watching videos and not have to embarrass yourself seeming ignorant at the gym. But the important thing is to jump in there and get moving on something or other. Pick the easiest thing first, then figure out what's not too boring to keep up with. I found the treadmill the easiest to start with. The controls are pretty basic; you can increase the incline and the speed as you get stronger. You can read, watch TV, or listen to music while you do it, because you're not having to move all over the gym to different machines. But if that's boring and you want to move all over the gym to different machines, try circuit training. A heart-rate monitor is a nice thing to have, too, and doesn't have to be expensive. Figure out what your heart-rate zone is (lots of websites to help you calculate that, but for me at age 59 my doc said keep it between 110 and 130 for 45 minutes a day), and then increase the intensity of your workout as necessary to keep your HR up as you get stronger. That way you don't have to worry about following a complicated schedule. Instead, your own heart keeps track of how intensely you need to work.