Want your opinion re: this...

2»

Replies

• sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Insulin is a fat storing hormone.

More accurately, insulin helps shuttle things around in the body. It helps get protein to muscles, too. It won't store anything as fat unless your glycogen stores are full, which typically won't be the case when you are eating at a deficit. Moreover, you will never gain net fat if you are burning more than you are eating (i.e., at a deficit). While some fat may be added in a moment, more will ultimately be burn. So this is highly misleading.
    If you are eating too much refined carbohydrates insulin prevents fat from being released into the blood stream.

No--it might be the case at the moment, but not over the course of the day, unless by "too much carbohydrate" what is meant are too many calories overall. You will also put on net fat if you overeat with a diet that is high in fat (as recommended by the low carb advocates).

This is similar to the arguments that you should exercise only in the "fat burning zone," because otherwise you won't be burning fat. It doesn't matter -- net burn is what matters. You burn lots of fat when sleeping and when sedentary. You can't manipulate it so you burn lots more just because of what you eat or stop your body from taking the fuel it needs (which will mean burning fat overall if you are at a deficit, because it needs the fuel -- it can't run without it).
    exactly, why do people believe that you insulin is going to be high all the time when your eating carbs in a calorie reduced diet?

@alavasterVerve provided this gem [/i] --Why The First Law of Thermodynamics is Utterly Irrelevant

which says:
    You reduce your intake to 1200 calories per day. Since insulin remains high, you cannot get any energy from fat stores. Why? Because the dietary strategy you are using (Caloric Reduction as Primary) only concerns itself with reducing calories, not insulin. Remember that the high insulin is telling the body to store energy as fat, or at a minimum, not burn fat (inhibits lipolysis).

Seriously? This person on a 1200 calorie diets has high insulin all the time?? They never sleep?? They somehow are eating enough bad, evil carbs 24hrs a day to keep their insulin high while staying at 1200 calories???
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Hmmm I'm only half way through my physiology revision for my medical exams but I've never heard anything about fat 'flowing' anywhere hahahaha.
    Just calorie count stick to or under your goal and do exercise. Try to get lots of veggies and meet your macros especially protein and dont worry about faddy nonsense and cutting food groups. Trying to hugely cut a food group just isnt sustainable long tern
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    @alavasterVerve provided this gem [/i] --Why The First Law of Thermodynamics is Utterly Irrelevant

which says:
    You reduce your intake to 1200 calories per day. Since insulin remains high, you cannot get any energy from fat stores. Why? Because the dietary strategy you are using (Caloric Reduction as Primary) only concerns itself with reducing calories, not insulin. Remember that the high insulin is telling the body to store energy as fat, or at a minimum, not burn fat (inhibits lipolysis).

Seriously? This person on a 1200 calorie diets has high insulin all the time?? They never sleep?? They somehow are eating enough bad, evil carbs 24hrs a day to keep their insulin high while staying at 1200 calories???

Obvious malarkey written by a crackpot with not even a basic knowledge of physiology or endocrinology - with the intent to be controversial, since 'controversial' sells books and gets media coverage. These silly snake oil salesmen will do anything for money, even outright lie to people (as evidenced in that quote).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Insulin is a fat storing hormone.

More accurately, insulin helps shuttle things around in the body. It helps get protein to muscles, too. It won't store anything as fat unless your glycogen stores are full, which typically won't be the case when you are eating at a deficit. Moreover, you will never gain net fat if you are burning more than you are eating (i.e., at a deficit). While some fat may be added in a moment, more will ultimately be burn. So this is highly misleading.
    If you are eating too much refined carbohydrates insulin prevents fat from being released into the blood stream.

No--it might be the case at the moment, but not over the course of the day, unless by "too much carbohydrate" what is meant are too many calories overall. You will also put on net fat if you overeat with a diet that is high in fat (as recommended by the low carb advocates).

This is similar to the arguments that you should exercise only in the "fat burning zone," because otherwise you won't be burning fat. It doesn't matter -- net burn is what matters. You burn lots of fat when sleeping and when sedentary. You can't manipulate it so you burn lots more just because of what you eat or stop your body from taking the fuel it needs (which will mean burning fat overall if you are at a deficit, because it needs the fuel -- it can't run without it).
    exactly, why do people believe that you insulin is going to be high all the time when your eating carbs in a calorie reduced diet?

which says:

Yes, there are clearly parts that don't make any sense. Like the entire calorie/math section.

"So, as you reduce your caloric intake to 1200 calories in, the body is force to reduce it’s metabolism to only 1200 calories."

Obviously people lose huge amounts of weight calorie counting on high carb diets - we know this doesn't happen. Perhaps it's hyperbole? I can't tell. Someone asked a similar question in the comments. If he answers I'll try and remember to post his answer here.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

which says:

Obvious malarkey written by a crackpot with not even a basic knowledge of physiology or endocrinology - with the intent to be controversial, since 'controversial' sells books and gets media coverage. These silly snake oil salesmen will do anything for money, even outright lie to people (as evidenced in that quote).

What his intentions are I don't know but from the sounds of it he has a very successful practice. And all of the information - which amounts to fasting to reverse diabetes - is available for free on his blog and through a series of youtube videos and has been for years. The books are new.

The about page is really pretty interesting. It reads like he had a hypothesis, tested it on patients, got the results he expected and has been treating his theory as gospel ever since.
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Cheers folks, I did think the quote I posted was hokum, but I wanted to get your take on it. And, let me stress once again, it's not something I wrote, nor believe, but I was prepared to at least verify (or debunk, as it happens) the claims...