How did you keep it off?

whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
For those of you who have been at your goal weight for a year or more, how did you not slide back into overeating? I am trying to lose the same 10-15 pounds for the third time since joining MFP. When I reach my goal weight, I slowly slide back into the bad habits that put the weight on. It's a mental thing for me. I get completely sick of weighing and counting. I resolve to begin weighing and counting again the next day and I do, but then after dinner I just keep eating. I KNOW the weight is going to come back, but It seems to take a VERY strong motivator for me to remain disciplined.

What did you do to stay on track and keep the weight off, especially any mental tricks or motivations?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    My downfall is I keep eating the same amount of food but if I stop running I start gaining. If I start running again I start losing again. So my answer is to keep it off I need to run 25 miles a week.
  • buckman803
    buckman803 Posts: 48 Member
    Try adding a few free weights into your routine, it works, I plateaued for six months or so, added a few free weights and boom I'm back on track..I'm 46 so no spring chicken!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    30 months maintaining.
    I hear you about the weighing, measuring and monitoring, but for me, it is really the only way I am going to keep from going back to my bad habits. I have not allowed myself to gain more than 5 pounds during the past 30 months. Actually, the most I have gone up is 4 pounds during this time. I cut back when the scale starts to climb.
    Just the way it has to be for me.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2016
    It's a lifestyle change. Measuring and weighing can suck, but if you want to be sure, it's just something you have to get used to and deal with.

With that said, exercise is a big key. You've gotta be, at least, a little bit active. That's what any doctor or dietician will tell you. An active lifestyle is essential to maintaining a healthy weight, unless of course, you never indulge with your food.

That said, it doesn't mean life is over. You can still enjoy good meals. Track your progress all week but let yourself have a day. Go out on the weekend and enjoy some good meals, just behave during the week and get a little exercise. A day of indulging here or there won't automatically put ten pounds back on you. Go for a half hour speed walk after work, everyday, etc...

Also, change up your food options a lot. You're less likely to get bored and irritated if you have a large variety of foods to choose from. It's hard but gets easier the longer you go. Sooner or later, it'll just be second nature to live that way and you won't even think about it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I'm actually quite active. My job is sedentary, but I'm an avid hiker/backpacker, backcountry skier, and gym rat (cardio and have started lifting). But at 56, i'm finding that exercise alone is not enough to keep the weight off. My problem is that I'll take a day off and enjoy myself, and then I don't get back on track the next day. I have another day of enjoying myself...and then another...you see what happens. After being so disciplined losing the weight I find it hard to maintain in maintenance.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2016
    It sounds like you know what the problem is. It'll just take your own willpower in order to stay on track. I can certainly understand letting loose for the day and then wanting to do it again, though. I try to avoid taking a day off at all because I'd probably fall victim to the same thing, however, not taking a day off can drive you mad as well. This is one of those situations where there's no easy answer.

I might suggest, having your couple of bad days and then staying on track for a couple weeks, straight. Have a couple bad days, stay on track for a couple weeks, rinse and repeat. I'm sure you can find a little balance in there. You just can't take weeks off at one time, is all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!