Tracking Heart Rate

Options
Lenco007
Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
I am looking to purchase some type of exercise monitor that can help me gain an accurate reading of my heart rate in response to exercise.

I was just diagnosed with a pronounced heart murmur and my internist would like for me to wear something to help me track things. I have seen her for over 10 years and this is the first time she has detected it. Heart disease runs in my family so she has ordered a precautionary stress test and echo.

I have the okay to continue my workout classes as long as I don't become dizzy, disoriented or out of breath.

Looking for something to help me track exercise calories and heart rate. Funds are a concern so I know it will limit my choice. I had looking at the Fitbit Charge HR before this came up, but wasn't certain if it fit the criteria for me and how accurate it is.

Thanks

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Lenco007 wrote: »
    ....and my internist would like for me to wear something to help me track things....

Get her advice on what device to use, consumer grade stuff that'll be recommended here won't be adequate for your needs.

If she recommends a consumer grade device, rather than a medical grade device, would suggest that it's not really that important.

Consumer grade devices aren't going to have the level of accuracy or consistency to be appropriate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The best thing for you would be to get a chest strap heart rate monitor. You can opt to get a Bluetooth strap like a Polar H7 and use a phone app to display (and interpret) HR, or you can get the strap/watch combo.

Chest strap heart rate monitors are usually very accurate for measuring heart rate, and that is what you (and your doctor) are most interested in. HRMs that use a wrist sensor to monitor heart rate are not as accurate and have contact issues.

I would make estimating calories a much smaller concern. If you are interested primarily in HR accuracy, there are a number of basic models that can be suitable.

PS: specifically, I think the Fitbit charge HR has some significant accuracy issues.