Silly question regarding smoothies I'm trying to go vegan...

I'm thinking of making a smoothie breakfast.. I'm wondering what I should put in it to have a balanced meal?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    <--- Not vegan
    When I am building a smoothie, I start with the protein: soy milk, silken tofu, protein powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, nut butter.
    Next something something sweet like one apple or honey or some frozen berries.
    Then tons of greens or other veggies.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I make a breakfast smoothie with fruit (today was half a banana and some frozen strawberries), rolled oats, peanut butter and skim milk. Oh and a splash of vanilla or cinnamon.
    Obviously you would replace the regular milk with your choice of vegan-milk-substitute.
    People often recommend including baby spinach or other greens, I must remember to give that a go one day and see if I like it.

The peanut butter adds a bit of protein and fat as well as flavour, though I keen an eye on the quantity so the cals don't get too high. I love to add whole raw cashews or almonds as an alternative some times too.
    The cals vary between 300 - 400 depending on how much banana, peanut butter etc and the overall quantity that I make, and this usually keeps me going for the morning.

Looking at the nutritional profile for the one I had today, it works out (roughly) at 50% carbs, 24% fat, 26% protein.
    Of course, you want to look at your full day's macros, not just what's in one meal.

Really though, the most important thing is to find something that fits with your definition of healthy eating, which tastes good, makes you feel good and keeps you full for as long as you need.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm vegan -- I notice that smoothies with plenty of fat and protein fill me up more than just fruit. For fat I like to add chia seeds, coconut milk, avocado, or nut butter (these calories add up quickly, so if you're shooting for a deficit, make sure you weigh your ingredients to log properly). For protein, I use protein powder (I like Vega) or PB2. Sometimes I will make my own oat milk as a base for a smoothie. I use steel-cut oats and this helps add protein and fat to the smoothie.